What Happened to Shipped Eggs???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Brillig, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Brillig

Brillig Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2016
    I've been hatching for decades, but took a break from it all about eleven years ago when I moved to the city...Now I'm back hatching again and my hatch rate is TERRIBLE...I used to buy eggs off of EggBid and would have 90% hatch rates or higher...Now, it seems like all of the eggs I buy off of eBay are all crap...Most don't even start, a couple quit early, a couple quit at pip and 30 - 60% survive...I used to use a cheap Hovabator and got great results with that for over twenty years...Now I have a fancy BluRite 3600 and I'm getting lousy hatches...I don't really think it's the incubator...I'm guessing it's the sellers, but wondering why so many get away with selling useless eggs...

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I would try some local eggs to make sure the problem is with the shipped eggs. I'd verify the accuracy of the thermometers and thermostat.

3. Brillig

May 20, 2016
    I did all the verifying of temps...I hatched out 4 of the six lemon orpington eggs, but the rest of the eggs all under performed...I don't think it's the incubator...

4. GAQuail

GAQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2012
    Bishop, Georgia
    I think the biggest change from 11 years ago is the way the post office handles packages. Very few packages are handled by real people at the P.O. anymore. Everything is put on conveyor belts and dropped multiple feet multiple times into bins plus being X rayed. Not a good scenario for hatching eggs. I think most sellers on eBay are good breeders they are just at the mercy of the post office.

1 person likes this.
  5. GAQuail

GAQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2012
    Bishop, Georgia
    Didn't recognize the brand of incubator until I looked it up. Lots of people have had issues with that incubator made in China and branded under numerous names.

6. Brillig

May 20, 2016
    Can't imagine why...It holds a good temp and (although humidity fluctuates, it can't be any worse than a still-air Hovabator)...That said, my still-air Hovabator produced dozens of healthy hatches over the course of twenty-plus years and it was a mess...It even had a hole in the top where a candling bulb burned right through...The hole was the size of a mason jar lid and I just filled it with an old pair of socks and some plastic wrap and that incubator served me faithfully right up until the day I decided to upgrade...

It could be the incubator, but a lot of the eggs have ruptured air sacs and a couple either exploded during shipping or got cracked...I think it's the shipping methods...GAQuail makes a good point about automation...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by