1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What happened to the eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bloom chicks, Feb 5, 2012.

1. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    Today I had 2 of my hens in there nesting box " I thought they were laying an egg" I went to go get them and there were no eggs. One was my EE (my only EE) and a BO. What do you think that could be about? Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

2. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    sometimes if you disturb them, they will just leave the nest without laying. Or maybe one of them was having a "false alarm" or was just in there because she saw the other bird go in.

It happens a lot :) That's why I try not to check the eggs until evening. Had too many times where the birds will leave the nest if you disturb them.

3. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    Yeah:

Even if you don't disturb them, sometimes the chickens just have a "false alarm."

I've seen this often. And sometimes something distracts them.

If they are going to lay, they will lay.

4. tamberlin

tamberlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Framingham MA
    Ours are just getting done with molting and starting to get into "that laying mood" again. I see some of them going inside the coop and going through all the motions, but not back to laying all the way yet.

5. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    Thanks for the responses. It it just weird. My EE hasn't layed now for 2 days. Which isn't like her at all. She lays for 3 days then off one then lays for 3 days so I don't know what is going on. I have noticed that my flock seems very skittish lately. We have had 3 hawks just hanging out around my yard. There seems to be alot more of them this year. [​IMG] Could that be why they aren't laying as well? Also, I have had a neighbor's turkey that insists on hanging out with my flock. [​IMG]

6. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    Hawks begin to pair up at this time of year, so they're more visible while they're "on show." Once they pair up they'll be less visible and more spread out.

7. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    Are they hanging out because they smell the eggs developing under my 2nd broody? I noticed that when my 5 week old chicks were about to hatch. My rooster and a hawk went at it on the day the chicks were born.

8. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio

I don't think so. Hawks are visual hunters primarily, followed by auditory. Of course, there might be some visual (or auditory) cue related to what you describe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by