1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What happened to the frostbite?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WAChickens, Jan 27, 2017.

1. WAChickens

WAChickens Just Hatched

Jan 11, 2017
    Spokane Washington
    So far this has only happened to two of my chickens each buff orpington. Recently each of my buff orpingtons have gotten frostbite, first it was white and then strangely it turned to a wet gross green? Does this mean that each of their combs have become infected?

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
  3. WAChickens

WAChickens Just Hatched

Jan 11, 2017
    Spokane Washington
    I have been putting Vaseline on them every now and then but for about a week now I have stopped, could it be because I massaged it on their comb?

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos?

5. WAChickens

WAChickens Just Hatched

Jan 11, 2017
    Spokane Washington
    Sorry it took me so long to get these but they wouldn't stop moving! Hope these help find out what's wrong.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It looks like a bit of frostbite.
    As @azygous suggested, apply some triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn to the combs. Sometimes the points (tips) may self-dub or fall off (dry up/die) but it doesn't look infected to me.

The second photos looks like maybe a small pecking wound at the back of the comb, you can put some ointment on that as well if you want to. The feather loss on the head, check for any signs of lice/mites, but if you have a rooster that could be from mounting/treading where the rooster holds on.

If the skin where the feathers are lost (if not due to mites/lice) is a bit dry looking or looks a bit irritated, you can apply ointment or A+D ointment - whatever you have.

7. WAChickens

WAChickens Just Hatched

Jan 11, 2017
    Spokane Washington
    Thank you so much I'll get right to finding ointments!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by