1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What happened to the price of oyster shell?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickbea, May 27, 2007.

1. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    [​IMG]
    I just finished off a 50# bag of oyster shell that has lasted me for years. Off I trundled to the farm store, only to find that it is over $7.00 for a five pound bag! What happened?

2. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Unfortunately, given time, everything gets more expensive.

3. kansas_twister

kansas_twister Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    s.w. kansas
    trying to remember where warren is, if you close enough to the canadian border i'd just head to a closest co-op there and get it there...just hope your french is good, i called a hospital in quebec once and get yelled at for not speaking french to the hospital opp

4. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    There's a feed store in Salem NY that has oyester shell in 50 lb bags for a good price but I forgot exactly how much. There is another store in Dorset VT that has them for a good price too. I'm not sure if you are close enough to make the trip worth while though. The smaller the bag the higher the price, the big bags are cheaper but it will take a very long time to go through 50 lbs.

5. chickbea

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Ah - Dorset is my hometown - I am there frequently visiting my sisters and mom. Is it H.N. Williams?

6. Picco

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Yep! I live just across the border.

7. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    hey picco where abouts in Upstate NY are you? Im in Rochester.

8. Picco

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Saratoga Spings area but I go to college near Rochester.

9. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    We just bought some oster shell this past weekend . Its only .50 a pound here. They ahve a 50lb bag but thats alot of shell to have sitting around. We buy it by the pound when we need it and its fresh. Micki

10. chickbea

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Oh, are you lucky! We try to be in Saratoga for as much of the racing season as we possibly can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by