What happened to this egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by richsbabycakes, Sep 15, 2012.

1. richsbabycakes

richsbabycakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    West Central Florida
    I found this egg today in our baby coop. The big girls can get in there too though. My son saw our Comet in the baby coop today and both she and her bff were roosting in the baby coop which is weird. As far as I know my Comet isn't laying but her comb and wattles are much bigger and more red, though she doesn't squat at all. Could it be some wonky, first time layer, color error? Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I have had a problem like that before ! make sure they have good quality laying mash and oystershells. I hope someone else will know more about it ! I bet the yolk is fine .

3. RachaelS

RachaelS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    If it was one of her first, that is totally normal as their body "works" things out. Congrats on the egg [​IMG]. My first girl laid ones similar for her first few eggs, then a few per month, now we don't get them like that at all.

4. richsbabycakes

richsbabycakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    West Central Florida
    Thanks! All other 5 that are laying started out with smaller eggs, except my Leghorn who always lays giant eggs, I think this must have been the Comet and a super dark one from the other day must have been my Barred Rock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by