What happened to this guy?

Ahavati

Songster
Sep 12, 2016
Woodville, TX
My broody hatched 5 babies last week. All are normal fluffy chicks except this guy...what in the world?? It came from a medium brown egg...

Roosters we owen(ed) that could have fathered it:
Americauna
Olive Egger (all black with grey neck)
Blue splash red Wyandotte

Hen breeds we own that lay medium brown eggs
Barred Rock
Orpingtons
Plymouth white Rock
Australorp
Brahma

Any idea what could have happened or who crossed?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-25 at 5.56.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-25 at 5.56.27 PM.png
    594.6 KB · Views: 24
Haha, it's a strange one. It hatched and a few hours later, I thought it was still wet under the mama. Then the next day it fluffed a little but was somewhat bald. I think it's possible the other chicks might have picked his random head feathers (no many of them) and made him look more bald lol. But at any rate, something wasn't right from the start. He's a fast little thing and acts normal.

My broody hatched 5 babies last week. All are normal fluffy chicks except this guy...what in the world?? It came from a medium brown egg...

Roosters we owen(ed) that could have fathered it:
Americauna
Olive Egger (all black with grey neck)
Blue splash red Wyandotte

Hen breeds we own that lay medium brown eggs
Barred Rock
Orpingtons
Plymouth white Rock
Australorp
Brahma

Any idea what could have happened or who crossed?
Could it be getting picked on, or has it always had a naked head and neck?

Well that's not a day old, but a few days. I can't find my pic at a day.
I think both. He was naked a at birth, but I think they're picking some,of the stray feathers. Here he is at a day old.

View attachment 1404770

His body feathers even look a little odd, I wonder if it has something to do with genetics..? Is he the same age as that chick next to him? I wonder if he's got a growing disorder.

Is there a possibility another species of bird laid an egg in your clutch :gig

His body feathers even look a little odd, I wonder if it has something to do with genetics..? Is he the same age as that chick next to him? I wonder if he's got a growing disorder.

Is there a possibility another species of bird laid an egg in your clutch :gig

Lol, nope, it was def a chicken egg. Yes they are all the same age. They are currently 2 weeks old. I'm assuming it's a weird genetics thing.

Back
Top Bottom