what happened to this hatch? (graphic pics)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BairleaFarm, Sep 15, 2011.

1. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    I had several eggs I set to lockdown 6 days ago. A few days ago I heard chirping but the last 36 hours or so i havent heard a thing. I went ahead and did the eggtopsys and most of the eggs had chicks with yoke left. The guys here were still moving but i doubt they will make it. Most of these eggs ere mine and not shipped. Everytime i checked the bator from day one til now the temps and humidity have been where they needed to be.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  2. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    The amount of blood I see is an indication that at least some of them were not ready to hatch yet. The unabsorbed yolk is an indication of the same thing.

3. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    I agree they don't look like they were ready to hatch. Could you have mixed up the date you set them? They look like they are in the last week of incubation and needed a few more days.

4. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    yeah, sorry to say this. I think with a couple of more days they may have hatched OK. Next time you can try a float test. Make sure there are no pips and just float the eggs in warm water. Water makes it easy to see any movement that you may have missed. If eggs is rocking or ripples appear in the water. Dry egg, put it back in Incubator and just wait.

5. tinychickies

tinychickies Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2011
    You should have stopped opening them when you saw blood on the first one. Even if they are moving, I doubt they will survive.

6. BairleaFarm

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    I think one out of the bunch was ready. I suppose i could have gotten the dates wrong. To many hatches going on. So you all would agree that most likely these guys would have been fine if left alone for a few more days? Wonder if I got trays mixed up? ahh crap im a peep killer. [​IMG]

7. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

8. BairleaFarm

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    I open all eggs on day 23 if they havent hatched. I gave these guys an extra day because I had the room.

9. tinychickies

tinychickies Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2011
    The dark chick on the left looks too small with its big yolk sac. I definitely think that they aren't ready to hatch.

10. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:I don't think you got your dates mixed up. If you heard cheeping from them, at least one must have pipped internally. Meaning it was just about ready to hatch. If that happened a few days ago, and if the chick was healthy, you'd have expected it to have hatched by now. And if they were the same kind of eggs and set all at the same time, you'd be expecting them all to hatch at (roughly) the same time. Personally, I don't think these chicks would have hatched on their own. I think if the cheeping had stopped, they were most likely too weak to hatch on their own and already slowly dying in there. I don't know if that will make you feel better or not...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by