What happened to this hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kessel23, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Kessel23

Kessel23 Hi Bug

Feb 6, 2018
    Hi Hannah
    Today one of my hens was walking around all puffed up with white slime dripping down her butt, she seemed egg bound but was walking around and even squatted for the rooster to mount her. After about 10 minutes of her just walking around puffed up and dripping this slime out she let out a large slime poop that looked like egg whites. The other chickens ate her weird slime stuff which was pretty disgusting. A few moments later she pooped out a broken egg with a slimy soft shell which was also eaten by the other hens. After that she seemed normal. What happened? I am confused...

2. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere!

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    Sounds like she internally broke an egg and it has been dealt with. Keep an eye on her and make sure something like this doesn't happen again. Once is ok, if she does it repeatedly, that could be a problem that indicates sickness or deficiency in diet.

ChickNanny13, microchick and Kessel23 like this.
  3. I am no expert, but maybe since the egg was soft shelled It burst way inside of her so it just leaked out until it moved far enough to be "pooped" out? I've had soft shelled eggs before but they've never burst inside them. Do you give them oyster shells at all? Could she just be old?

ChickNanny13, microchick and Kessel23 like this.
  4. Kessel23

Kessel23 Hi Bug

Feb 6, 2018
    Hi Hannah
    Alright, I will keep an eye on her, this is the first time that this has happened with one of my chickens. I feed my chickens a mix of scratch and layer feed, I also let them free range but there is not much for them to eat out there this time of year. I do not give them oyster shells, do you know where I could get some? This hen is 4, she will be 5 this June, she is a RIR, hatchery quality.

5. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere!

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    What sort of mix? Layer feed is a complete feed and scratch should only be an occasional treat.

Kessel23 likes this.
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    This can happen to a hen with thin shelled eggs, and you would never know unless you had not witnessed this. She could need more calcium available in her diet, but some hens may just have trouble forming hard egg shells. Past infectious bronchitis virus in a flock, even a mild case that could have gone unnoticed, can cause thin, wrinkled, or malformed shells. I had a hen who recovered from a dog attack who never laid a hard shell egg again once she recovered, even though her eggs had perfect and she laid every day.

Make sure that she is getting layer feed and I would place oyster shell in a container for her to take when she needs it. She could go on to have reproductive problems such as internal laying, salpingitis, or egg yolk peritonitis one day, but there is not a lot to do to prevent this. Some do try antibiotics, but they can be hard to get without a prescription.

I can buy 50 pounds of oyster shell for less than $10 at TSC. Other feed stores would sell it. I also feed all my egg shells back to my hens, crushing them finely after drying them.

Kessel23 likes this.
  7. I forgot where my dad got it, he bought a huge 50lb bag.. do you have a local Purina store maybe? I can't remember for the life of me, sorry

Kessel23 likes this.
  8. Tractor Supply, Atwoods, Rural King would all have Oyster shell. Wherever you get your feed from. Also, be careful with scratch, it's not usually a balanced diet, and may cause nutritional deficiencies as well. It should be given more like a treat.

Kessel23 likes this.
  9. Kessel23

Kessel23 Hi Bug

Feb 6, 2018
    Hi Hannah
    Ok, I will get some oyster shells. This hen used to give me an egg almost every day, right now she averages 4 a week, her last egg had a thick shell. She did have bumblefoot back in February, could that have anything to do with it? I do not give them much scratch, I usually just throw a scoop of it out in the run.

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If she had been laying normal eggs until this time, it just might have been a temporary or one time problem. I would keep an eye on her eggs for a while. Oyster shell is good for all of your hens. A bag lasts me a year or more.

Kessel23 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: