What happened with this egg?!?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MIChickandGuinea, Mar 14, 2019.

1. MIChickandGuinea

MIChickandGuinea Songster

Jun 28, 2017
    Western Michigan
    80E34DD5-83E1-4273-9D38-8833CC179230.jpeg I have never seen an egg like this one on the left. The one on the right is a standard, large egg laid by one of our ISA Brown chickens. The one on the left seems intact, but looks all cracked and leathery, plus it’s huge! Yesterday someone seems to have laid an egg with no shell (it looked like someone just cracked an egg into the nest box, there was no evidence of broken shells or remnants or anything). Today someone has laid mutant egg! Do any of you with more experience know what this is? These are 2-year-old birds, not new layers.

2. AltonaAcres

AltonaAcres Songster

Jan 13, 2019
    I've never had experience with that before! It's crazy looking. I have a hen that always lays huge rough eggs, but that's her normal. Maybe you should try incubating it, you might get a dragon............lol.

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  3. cottontail farm

cottontail farm Songster

Dec 26, 2014
    Rural NW Pa
    I wonder if there is a complete egg inside of that one? How odd.

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  4. AltonaAcres

AltonaAcres Songster

Jan 13, 2019
    You should totally look for the "egg within the egg". I've heard it's rare! What a find that would be!

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  5. Natureluv

Natureluv Hatching

Mar 14, 2019
    Do you supplement with calcium?
    When I was a younger and cared for chickens at my parents home we usually figured that soft shelled or leathery, cracked eggs were a sign of insufficient calcium.
    I also remember it not being uncommon to have a few eggs like that every once in a while after the chickens are a few years old. Whether that was due to old age or dietary needs I can’t say for sure.

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  6. MIChickandGuinea

Jun 28, 2017
    Western Michigan
    I do have oyster shell available for them in the coop. Through the winter when they weren’t laying much, they didn’t go through very much of it. But it’s always there for them if they want it.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That egg was cracked inside the shell gland then 'repaired'.
    Hopefully just a glitch....or could be a wonky shell gland.
    Has this bird just started laying again after winter break?

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  8. MIChickandGuinea

Jun 28, 2017
    Western Michigan
    No, she laid pretty well through the winter. Not daily like in summer, but several per week. And like all the girls, she’s laying more often now that the weather is improving and daylight longer.

9. MIChickandGuinea

Jun 28, 2017
    Western Michigan
    48CA14BB-2D50-4107-9CD1-0A860BB7C159.jpeg
    It’s this bird, Miss Hattie, a Hatchery ISA Brown. She was a baby chick this time two years ago.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    She didn't molt last fall?
    ISA are high production birds...can be more susceptible to reproductive tracts issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: