1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What happened?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thiebert, Nov 17, 2015.

1. thiebert

thiebert Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2015
    Tomorrow was hatch day! My hens layed two eggs. They brooded side X side. This morning when I checked on my hens I noticed they were out of the coop. I went and checked on the eggs. They were gone! The only evidence left behind was half a shell outside on the ground! My hens went back into the coop to continue their brooding. What happened?

2. ChickenLady2014

ChickenLady2014 Feathered Frenzy

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    So sorry to hear this, is it possible that a predetor got in & took the eggs while the moms were out in the run? Any problems with snakes in your area?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  3. thiebert

Jul 28, 2015
    No snakes. My hens only leave there nest for 5 mins and usually take turns going out. No blood in the nesting box either. Is it possible that they did this?

4. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    That's what I was wondering too

5. thiebert

Jul 28, 2015
    [​IMG]

6. thiebert

Jul 28, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Mo

7. thiebert

Jul 28, 2015
    This is what I have left of the eggs

8. ChickenLady2014

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    Its very possible that they did this themselves. I have heard of a broody momma eating her own eggs or killing her chick. You say the eggs were on their last day? Is that the yoke sack on the ground? Is it possible that they already hatched & have gotten separated from their momma's? I have had 2 small chicks get themselves stuck in a small gap seperated from momma & die from exposure. Some chicks are more daring than others. I'm really sorry for your loss [​IMG]

9. ChickenLady2014

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    This yoke looks like it has some white with it as well. If that is what it is then that wouldn't be a fertile egg. Did you candle the eggs your broddy was sitting on?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by