1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

What happened?!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by zanderhill, Oct 1, 2016.

1. zanderhill

zanderhill Chirping

Oct 1, 2016
    I went into my coop to what looked like wet food but didn't think much of it. A few minutes later I tried to remove my roosters spurs and when's I flipped it over it threw up food and had food stuck in its throat I tried removing it but the rooster died. The "wet food" I saw before was the vomit. What did I do wrong?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Sorry to hear about your roo. I'm not sure what could have happened with him but I see you have posted in the emergency section. I'm sure members there will be able to help you.

Good luck for the future and enjoy BYC :frow

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockless Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

So sorry for your loss. Sometimes a bird will puke if it has recently drank a lot of water and has its crop pressed on or squished; I would call it a bit of a freak occurrence, but I could definitely see a bird choking to death if this occurred at the wrong angle or it had a lot in its crop.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas zanderhill, and :welcome. Pleased you joined our community! I agree with QM...I've seen them throw up as well...something that just happens on occasion. But good to post in ER section anyway. Best wishes! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry that sounds like a freak accident.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to Backyard Chickens, so sorry about the rooster though. I agree with everybody else though, it was probably a weird freak accident.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by