What happened???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fourwaldens, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Fourwaldens

Fourwaldens In the Brooder

May 4, 2018
    VA
    I noticed this evening that I was missing one of my boys..he is my low man on the pecking order and a polish. All my boys are about 15 weeks old. We saw him last this morning hanging out with the flock...

They free range during the day, and I have a privacy fence and my dog has been out with them all day....so I began my search... I found him under my deck (a usual

hang out and we supply fresh water under there for that reason).

with latex gloves we examined him and found no visible signs of trauma but numerous feathers were around his body. His face appears normal, but his ears seemed more visible/ more blue(??) a few feathers in one area seemed damp but possibly just laying in a wet spot.

Could it have been a disease? If so, should I treat my other birds? Poop seemed normal...his behavior has been normal for him...
    Or.... maybe a snake? We have tons of garter snakes around... BB7AAFF4-AC6C-4AE4-A917-4064B62F2AB3.jpeg

2. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens

Jan 8, 2017
    Sorry for your loss. I have no ideas as to what could have happened, but the blue is from a lack of oxygen (probably appeared once he died).

3. Fourwaldens

May 4, 2018
    VA
    Thank you, all the others seem fine, but since we don’t know what caused it, we’re concerned

Soon2BChixMom likes this.
  4. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens

Jan 8, 2017
    Can you send it for a necropsy?

Fourwaldens likes this.
  5. Fourwaldens

May 4, 2018
    VA
    We buried it. — country living. I didn’t want to invite animals that don’t live at my house. My neighbor, her kids, and mine...we held a funeral. Both of our husbands were still at work.

6. Abriana

Abriana Spicy Sugar Cookie

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold
    :hugs he is a very cute boy I’m sorry you lost him

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    Perhaps your dog got to playing a little rough with him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: