What happened?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Harley's girl, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

I searched the forums on bad hatches. I did not find the answer I am looking for maybe some one can help me.

I could not get my humidity up past 65% I even added a small cup of water. (a little bigger than a shot glass) I just sat it in there and nothing. [​IMG] I just threw out 12 fully formed chicks and 3 that had quit on I would say days 18. What happened? Why can I get my humidity up to 80% with no problem but this hatch I couldn't get it over 65%? I am really sad. 2 of the dead were my BLRW eggs. [​IMG] I am just a bit down in the dumps. I am suppose to be hatching out chicks in the 15ht of April for a local feed store. Has anyone else had this happen? How did you fix it? I have been hatching for a few years now. I normally have pretty good hatches. I guess it would have to happen that I would have a bad hatch right before I am suppose to hatch for the feed store! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  2. chickedydoodaa

chickedydoodaa Taking a break

Feb 8, 2009
    Philadelphia PA
    do you have some eggs left in there or you threw them all out?

I was struggling with my humidity too, I ended up with two plastic tubs each with 1/2 water and a sponge in each. I also put in two separate sponges and a soggy egg carton, that got it up to 71% after being at 64...it took a while to climb up. Try this, if you want to hit 80% I would do what I did, just add extra plastic tubs with a sponge in it, I would say do 3 tubs each with a sponge and 3 other sponges (soaked in warm water mind) I think that will get you up to 80% if not, throw in more soggy sponges. Keep vent holes closed and once you have everything in DON'T OPEN IT AGAIN!

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Humidity is brought up by increasing the surface area of your water source, not just the volume. A small cup of water doesn't have much surface area, so it won't accomplish much of a rise in humidity. A sponge works better because all of the holes and crevices make a large amount of surface area.

4. Harley's girl

Thanks guys. I dont open the bator unless it is to take out a 24 hr old chick. I will try the sponge. Or would a wash cloth work? I am just trying to use what I have. Thanks again.

And I did throw out all the eggs I opened the top and looked in and they were all dead. [​IMG]

5. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    We soak a maxipad and stick it to the wall of the incubator if we can't get the humidity up for the last three days. It doesn't take up any floor space, and we just toss it after.

6. Raven1

Raven1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Carthage, TN
    What has worked for me lately is a 1" stack of 4x4 gauze soaked sloppy in very warm water it holds % up for all 3 days with plugs in

7. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Harley's girl :

Thanks guys. I dont open the bator unless it is to take out a 24 hr old chick. I will try the sponge. Or would a wash cloth work? I am just trying to use what I have. Thanks again.

And I did throw out all the eggs I opened the top and looked in and they were all dead. [​IMG]

I would think if they quit on/before day 18, it might not be a humidity problem. You've hatched out in this incubator before it sounds like--anything different than the humidity.

I always pull both plugs on my hovabator to make sure the eggs get plenty of air.​

8. Harley's girl

It is a hovabator forced air) I use it as my hatcher. I have used it about a lot as a hatcher. This is my first humidity issue. I normally have around an 80% hatch. This time was 50% Thats not good is it? maybe it is normal to have such a bad hatch..goodness I hope not! [​IMG] I will try the maxi pad next time if there is an issue. LOLOL I can already here the stories my 7 year old DD will be telling! [​IMG] [​IMG] Thanks guys! I hope to not have to post about a poor hatch anymore but I if do...I will come back for more advise! [​IMG]

9. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

The high humidity is probably what killed them. 80% humidity is too high for chickens, even 65% is to high in my opinion.

10. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Harley's girl :

I searched the forums on bad hatches. I did not find the answer I am looking for maybe some one can help me.

I could not get my humidity up past 65% I even added a small cup of water. (a little bigger than a shot glass) I just sat it in there and nothing. [​IMG] I just threw out 12 fully formed chicks and 3 that had quit on I would say days 18. What happened? Why can I get my humidity up to 80% with no problem but this hatch I couldn't get it over 65%? I am really sad. 2 of the dead were my BLRW eggs. [​IMG] I am just a bit down in the dumps. I am suppose to be hatching out chicks in the 15ht of April for a local feed store. Has anyone else had this happen? How did you fix it? I have been hatching for a few years now. I normally have pretty good hatches. I guess it would have to happen that I would have a bad hatch right before I am suppose to hatch for the feed store! [​IMG]

If you can normally get your humidity up to a decent level, but not this time (although 65% isn't bad), then it's probably the ambient RH that was the problem.

I try to get close to 70% during the last 3 days, certainly not much higher.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by