1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

What happened???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CritterFarmer, Mar 23, 2009.

1. CritterFarmer

CritterFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    Ontario
    So the homemade 'bator is sittin pretty with humidity at 48% and the thermostat is doing it's job. Clicks off at 101, back on at 99. It sits there for about 24 hours. No fluctuations.

So yesterday afternoon I put in 15 room-temp eggs. Temps spike to 106. Thermostat doesn't click off. I vent, move the thermometer, and try again. Again 106. The eggs are nothing special, so I decide to just leave everything and see what the 'bator does. The thermostat never clicks off.

I come down this morning to check it. 106. I have two thermometers in there (after having 3 originally). However, now the "correct one" is saying 106 while the digital is 100.1. But all the while the thermostat never clicks off though....

I changed NOTHING other then adding eggs!

Man-o-man-o-man.... this incubating thing is gonna kill me! I think this batch is ruined.. but I'm gonna buy a new thermometer and ride it out for a few days anyhow, see what happens. And to think, there's supposed to be 21 more days of this??? [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  2. Scratchn By

Scratchn By Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    East Texas
    Yep! Bow to the bator! [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    What happened?

The thermostat isn't working.

If at first we don't succeed... try, try, try....... again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by