what happened?

pnuts

Songster
9 Years
May 11, 2010
Pete my favorite hen died today.
i went out to feed and water them like usual and i saw pete just sitting in a laying box not excited about food at all. her neck was outstretched and her eyes looked like they were in pain or sleepy. i pet her and looked closer and she was still breathing and so i picked her up in a shawl that was lying around and took her inside to call a vet but before i could find a number she started convulsing. so i hurried with her to the neighbor who also owns chickens but he wasn't around and pete was obviously dying before i got there so i covered her little noggin with the shawl and took her inside and put her in a box. i'm going to bury her later today.
i dont understand because she was absolutely fine yesterday and before that. she might have been eggbound because i dont usually count how many eggs i get in a day but then wouldn't she have been acting weird? I cant see any injuries and her comb is normal colored.

I'm very sorry for your loss, it always seems it's the favorite hen that things like this happen. There are many reasons as to why this couldve happened, difficult to tell. I wish you the best.

thanks. i'll miss pete but at least i have the rest of my chickens:)

Back
Top Bottom