What happened?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ljloyd, Jun 20, 2011.

1. ljloyd

ljloyd New Egg

May 2, 2011
    Went out to collect eggs this afternoon. My BSL was dead, but not eaten:( The other two chickens in the coop still alive. I am really confused. There was no way for a dog to get it.... a raccoon could have squeezed through the coop (my husband just built it and hasn't closed off a small section of the roof) however, a raccoon would have eaten the chicken. So i guess i would like to know.... if my chicken died of natural causes would the other chickens tear its feathers out? Or would chickens that have been raised together since they were chicks suddenly kill? There were a few of the other chickens feathers around too... but i wouldn't tell if it was just natural or if something had happened to them.

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Heat stroke?

Fear...

Egg bond?

(What age are they?)

3. ljloyd

ljloyd New Egg

May 2, 2011
    They are just over a year.... all were out of the coop yesterday and seemed great. I have been get a lot of eggs so I don't think she was egg bound..... maybe heat....i guess but its only like 80..... but do you think the others would tear out the tail feathers???

4. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Any injuries at all? How old? I lost a Golden Comet (sex-linked) under similar circumstances. No injuries, not bothered by other hens when found dead. Later found she was egg-bound. I was quite traumatized- she was a sweetheart. Sorry for your loss.[​IMG]

5. ljloyd

ljloyd New Egg

May 2, 2011
    My neighbor just came out and asked if my chickens were ok... said that he heard something around 4 am still wonder what would have broken and but not eaten the chicken after it killed it. My mother-in-law seems to think it was a weasel.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by