1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What happened?????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickencity, Jun 27, 2011.

1. chickencity

chickencity Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    I had 4 chickens left that survived the sudden and mysterious illness last week and they were all doing great running around and eating and drinking. We gave them some squash out of the garden today and then about 30 minutes later we noticed that one chicken was gasping for air and flopping around. falling on its back and jumping around. I tried to look down her throat but couldn't see anything. I was just about to end her suffering because she was jerking uncontrollable a looked painful when she just went stiff and died. I think she may have choked on the squash but because they have been sick I'm not to sure. It just happened all of a sudden out of the blue. everyone else seems fine. Anybody have any ideas on what happened? her croup was full of food i had feed them about 20 minutes before i gave them the squash.

2. okiedrifter

okiedrifter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    did they have plenty of water?

3. tennesseeckn

tennesseeckn Real or not real?

Jul 11, 2010
    Knoxville Area
    Were there any gnats around? I've heard that buffalo gnats will kill a chicken quickly by entering the nostrils and smothering them. That sounds like what might have been happening to your poor girl.

So sorry. [​IMG]

4. chickencity

chickencity Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    i had filled their water about 20 minutes before. i didn't see any gnats but there could have been. the other chickens are still fine this morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by