What happened??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by coop-er, Jul 26, 2013.

1. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    My flock was attacked 10 days ago... a coyote (or fox) came out of the cornfield in the middle of the day and killed 3 of my 6 hens. Today while my flock was free ranging one of my 2 roosters disappeared.... No evidence of an attack, no feathers on the ground etc.., my other rooster and hens did not seem upset or traumitized ( like after the attack) what could have happened to this rooster?? Can one rooster " run off" another or can a rooster wander into a cornfield and not come back?? My two roos have had 2 fights and seem to have established a pecking order so that did not seem to be an issue. This roo was WAY too big for a hawk or an owl to carry off. Does anyone have any idea what may have happened to this bird??

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'm sorry to hear about your losses. It's possible the predator that took your hens came back and took your rooster this time. Once a predator finds a food source it's going to stick around, especially when they have little ones to take care of, or during winter when food is scarce.

3. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    That was my first thought but why would there be no evidence of an attack? And why would the remaining hens and my other rooster not be upset if another attack had happened? This was a very big rooster so I would think there would be a big mess or at least a pile of feathers somewhere. It seems as though he just wandered off

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    I lost my rooster in a similar manner. He was simply gone with no trace of any traumatic event. Critter cam verified it was a fox. I'm assuming an experienced fox knows how to snap the neck instantly and run off with the carcass. Foxes are tricky to deal with. Difficult to trap. Best way to deal with them is to shoot them or bait a carcass-which can kill non-target animals so be very careful if you chose this method.

Then I purchased a critter-killing horse (not on purpose) and I seem to have less problems with foxes, stray cats, and neighbor's dogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by