What happened?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickalicia, Feb 18, 2015.

1. chickalicia

chickalicia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    I have an incubator hovabator. I have successfully hatched four chicks. But now since then the rest that are hatching are pipping externally then that's it. They are having that shrink wrap happening to them. I increased my humidity to 70 the first four wer at 60-65 humidity with no problems. Also it seems like they may be hatching a bit too early not too much but thy are not like the four. The shrink wrap---seems like some tiny but of yoke left----and just smaller wings. What can I do?

2. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    Oh I have a chick now that has somewhat hatched. It still has bottom half of egg on it. Just lying there. Anything I can do to help increase it's chance of survival?

3. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Is it active?

4. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    Yes well laying there and breathing. It does chirp once in a while. And moves his head.

5. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    He has since moved from his egg he is still attached to it. It also appears his bottom area is underdeveloped. He is a fighter tho. I hope he makes it. He chirps and struggles to move further away from the egg he is attached to. I hope I have better news by the morning.

6. hennible

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching
    This may help. You just need to keep him moist from what I've read he should be able to absorb his yoke sac, but check out the guide near the end of the article is where it will apply to your situation I think... I think some people use Q-tips to moisten shell pieces that are stuck to chicks.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  7. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    Yea he is still alive ! [​IMG]. Ty for that link. I remember reading that before. Thankfully this chick didn't have that yoke that size. It was v small. Just like size of three small peas. He has since moved out of shell. Has moved across incubator and is trying to stand up. He is dry but yet wet still humidity is bout 72. He has nothing left attached to him. He is small. But I had another small one that is perfectly healthy. I only intervened when I had seen he was shrink wrapped. He made the whole so hopefully w me increasing the humidity he rest of eggs can reverse their shrink wrap inside before they pip. Is that possible. Tha k you. Hennible for all ur help

8. hennible

Keep me posted :fl for the others, hope someone has an answer to what went wrong.

9. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    He's doin good. Opens eyes at times really trying to stand up. He's a fighter ! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is him this morning.

10. hennible

:weee
    Cute! :love

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by