What happens after my girls stop laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fushalilly, Oct 26, 2008.

1. fushalilly

fushalilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    Rhode Island
    First time with chickens and I just learned that they only lay for two years. Mine started laying in July of this year. When should I expect them to stop? Also, (I will never consider killing them) but what ahppens after there laying peiod is over?

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    they go into retirement and just live their lives as kept gals...having the rest of thier lives to luxury

3. mango1612

mango1612 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    We've had some that did lay longer than two years... Fewer eggs, but some nonetheless. I don't know everyone else's experiences. Our "worlds oldest chicken" laid an egg this spring. (We don't know how old she was, except she was old!)

Ours were always pets, and had too many to know who were laying or not, so they just lived out their happy chicken years.

4. Malbri

Malbri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
    Mine laid 8 years...

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Two years may be for the hybrid layers who burn out quicker, generally. I would expect them to lay throughout their lives, maybe just fewer and fewer eggs as years pass. Commercial farms usually rotate to new layers every couple of years, but a backyard flock is very different.

6. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    if I win the lottery I'm going to buy mine a condo in florida. On the beach!

7. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    The prices on the beach are still a little high now. Check back later I'm sure there would be a bargain out there somewhere! [​IMG] You'll be living there with them right?

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I work with a guy whose hens lay for at least 7 years. They slow down after two years, but they still lay. He has 5 hens that are all older and they still get about 10-12 eggs a week.

9. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    Depends on your space and your intentions.

If you don't have the space and want to continue with a good production----

You can sell them at a farm auction, find new homes, or have soup or donate processed chicken to your local habitat for rescued meat eating birds--hawks, eagles....after say 2 or 3 years.

And continue with fertilized eggs from your birds or buy new fertilized eggs or chicks...and repeat the process. I don't get rid of my older ones until my newer ones start to lay, so I always have a supply of eggs.

me,
    g

10. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    Quote:of course what would they do without thier mama and dadda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by