1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

What happens during lockdown if you have a split hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kiwi Chicky, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Kiwi Chicky

Kiwi Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Te Awamutu, NZ
    I have 5 eggs due to hatch on the 17th and I was given 12 light sussex eggs yesterday and set them along with another 6 from my girls.

So the new ones will still need turning but I'm supposed to not open the bator and increase the humidity.

I'm hand turning.

Whats the best thing to do? will the higher humidity be bad for the new eggs? or will they be ok?

ETA - I'm using a hovabator with the fan [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The best thing to do is get another incubator so you don't have two different sets of eggs in the same one. I don't like to do split hatches in only one bator.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:[​IMG] I don't do split hatches either, too easy to ruin either clutch of eggs!

4. Highland Moongazer

Highland Moongazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Marshall, NC
    If buying another incubator isn't an option, make sure you keep the humidity up. I'd also suggest keeping the later hatching ones in a paper egg tray so that it puts off more humidity (just check to see that they have room to breathe and don't over-saturate it). That will make it both easier to turn for you (just prop up one side) and easier to keep them separated. The temperature will be an issue and you'll have to skip a day or two of turning while they're hatching, but you can still manage it.

5. Kiwi Chicky

Jul 18, 2009
    Te Awamutu, NZ
    Buying another incubator at this stage isn't an option [​IMG]

So will make sure the other eggs are separated.

Anyone had success with a split hatch in the same incy?

6. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    I'm right here with you Kiwi. I have 6 serama eggs not due until 9/20 and am currently hatching BCM in my bator. My humidity is around 70% at the moment. I'm worried about the same thing.

7. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Quote:I do split hatches all of the time and honestly I have never lost more than one or two chicks and I wouldnt attribute that to anything more than bad luck.

I hate when the chicks start knocking around the eggs after they hatch and are stumbling around in the bator so I break the lockdown theory and when a chick or two is dry and fluffy, I sneak a hand in there and snag them to the brooder.

I hatched out a split batch this week. Serama hatching earlier this week and today the OEGB's started and every single one of them is coming out. Pips, zips and peeps everywhere.

I know that I am breaking every hatch rule...its the rebel in me...lol.

I also dont monitor humidity....I just keep the trays full. I figure if I monitor it, I will just have to worry about it.... [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  8. Ooopsy_daisy

Ooopsy_daisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    Dryden, Michigan
    Quote:I do split hatches all of the time and honestly I have never lost more than one or two chicks and I wouldnt attribute that to anything more than bad luck.

I hate when the chicks start knocking around the eggs after they hatch and are stumbling around in the bator so I break the lockdown theory and when a chick or two is dry and fluffy, I sneak a hand in there and snag them to the brooder.

I hatched out a split batch this week. Serama hatching earlier this week and today the OEGB's started and every single one of them is coming out. Pips, zips and peeps everywhere.

I know that I am breaking every hatch rule...its the rebel in me...lol.

I also dont monitor humidity....I just keep the trays full. I figure if I monitor it, I will just have to worry about it.... [​IMG]

YOU GO GIRL!!! same thing I would do!

9. Kiwi Chicky

Jul 18, 2009
    Te Awamutu, NZ
    Awesome!

Feeling better about that now, will keep this thread updated with how it all goes [​IMG]

I was given the eggs so I couldn't say no [​IMG]
    I want lots of chickies and even better when they're free!!!

10. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    I'm feeling a little better about this too now, but my plans in the future are to build another bator to use for a hatcher. That way if I have a split hatch when lockdown day arrives, I can pull out just those eggs going into lockdown and leave the others to continue their cooking.

But for now it's too late. I'll just hope everything will be ok and the 20th will bring me 6 pretty little seramas. [​IMG]

Psst..Camelot, I have been doing much the same as you. When it's dry, it comes out. But I do monitor my humidity and that's what has me biting my nails. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by