What happens if a bird dies in the coop....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Knock Kneed Hen, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I read about chickens being found dead in the coop all the time and it got me thinking...will they will start eating a dead chicken? I haven't had one die on me yet, but I will be horrified if I find one being eaten by it's cage mates. Please tell me it isn't so so that I can continue pretending that chickens are fluffy, entertaining pets that pay their way and nothing more [​IMG]

2. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    I've had a few die on me and they never ate it. However, I did remove it within hours of it's death. Not sure what would happen if you left it there for a long time...

3. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    If it died without bleeding, the others probably wouldn't notice it for a while. They'll go for blood, though, even if the one bleeding is alive.

But they are cute and fluffy! Immensely cute! Just like tiny, toothless dinosaurs... [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:......with sharp beaks....

5. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Sometimes they pick at 'em and sometimes they don't. I've come across dead birds where the rest have plucked a lot of feathers off, but they generally don't "eat" the carcass.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've had a few deaths and the corpse was never disturbed. Could have been there up to 24 hours in one case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by