What happens if use Cedar Shavings

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BackSwampGirl, Feb 21, 2009.

1. BackSwampGirl

BackSwampGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    I could not get any pine shavings,what would it hurt to use cedar shavings.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, it would. They can develop respiratory issues from cedar and even from pine that isn't very dry (smells like strong pine disinfectant)

3. BackSwampGirl

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    thanks so much,I knew there was a reason ,but not for sure what it was.I don`t have anything else to use.Do u have any idea of something else I could use. that I might have.Sandra

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, I'd use paper towels in layers till you get some shavings.

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Do what speckledhen suggests. I just wanted to add that you don't want to use newspapers as they are too slippery. (I'm assuming this is for chicks?)

6. BackSwampGirl

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    thanks so much,I will do that and keep on doing that until I can get out to get some,pine shavings tomorrow,Thanks so mcuh,,Sandra Well actually it is for little turkeys,geese,&Black East Indies!!!!

7. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I have used pine straw, leaves, shredded newspaper in a pinch.

8. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    I would suggest doing a Search on here for "Cedar AND Shavings" or as me as the Author as this has been discussed at length.

I just put some cedar shavings in the coop today and in their nesting boxes. I've used it for two years without a problem. I've not used it as the sole little but about 80/20 split with pine shavings. I am convinced it helps keep the mites and lice away as I have never had a single problem with either.

I've used cedar with chicks too and never had a problem.

God Bless,

9. luvmygirlsinAK

luvmygirlsinAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Pole, Ak
    Quote:If you do go with cedar shavings, Backswampgirl-be sure you have plenty of ventilation. On previous discussions about this subject, it became clear that many do and have for years used cedar shavings, but they always seemed to have plenty of ventilation, where those who had problems with cedar, did not have enough ventilation.

10. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    I've actually found a use for my junk mail: I shread it and use it in the brooder for the first week. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by