1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what happens if winter gets here before the molt is over..??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lizzpets, Oct 22, 2013.

1. lizzpets

lizzpets Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2012
    All of my 5 chickens including my rooster is molting and they have been for the past 5 months.. some are doing fine and seem to be only small amount of lost feather but a couple are bare in areas.. i never knew the rooster molted too.. he lost all of his tail feathers.. how can i help them get back to normal before the real cold sets in.. they all still give me eggs and seem healthy otherwise.. i have a big coop that their in for the nights and cold days.. please give me tips on how i can help them revive their feathers before it is very cold temps..thanks

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It is amazing how cold temperatures facilitate feather regrowth. Provide lots of feed bolstered with protein/fat source, and they will be fine.

3. lizzpets

lizzpets Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2012
    THANKS SO MUCH:)

4. kdwag

kdwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Northwest Ohio
    Thanks for this post, I'm having the same concerns. My girls are just a year old and only one is molting big time, bald spots, thin feathers, etc. I was wondering how the heck she'll keep warm without feathers and how long it'll take for her to get them back. It's getting cold at night!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In addition to the feed, keep the coops dry and draft free.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by