1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What happens if you cross a BO & a BR?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Beth K., Dec 22, 2011.

1. Beth K.

Beth K. Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    The Funny Farm
    I have a Buff Orpington cockerel (Chunky) and a Barred Rock pullet (Sabrina), and I wanted to know what their chicks might look like. Would they be sex-linked?
    I was thinking of breeding them next year, if one of the hens goes broody. (I have Buff Orpington pullets too, so that's probably be "when" not "if".)

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    According the to the Chicken Calculator, they will be sex linked. You'll get barred roos that have either black or brown barring, and either solid black or solid brown hens.

3. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    I think you'll get a Bro! [​IMG]

4. Beth K.

Nov 22, 2011
    The Funny Farm
    Thanks! I was hoping they'd be sex-linked so I can avoid getting attached to the roos.

LOL Then I can tell people I raise Bros. [​IMG]

5. Garrisonkidsduo2

Garrisonkidsduo2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Williford, Arkansas
    Beth K. :

I have a Buff Orpington cockerel (Chunky) and a Barred Rock pullet (Sabrina), and I wanted to know what their chicks might look like. Would they be sex-linked?
    I was thinking of breeding them next year, if one of the hens goes broody. (I have Buff Orpington pullets too, so that's probably be "when" not "if".)

I am not sure but I have one egg in my incubator and it is set to hatch in the next couple of days. My hen Spot is a Barred Rock and my Rooster is also a Buff Orpington named Bling Bling. I will post pictures when it hatches.​

6. Beth K.

Nov 22, 2011
    The Funny Farm
    Thank you! I will be waiting with bated breath.

By the way, I love your hen's name.

7. Garrisonkidsduo2

Nov 4, 2011
    Williford, Arkansas
    Bling bling came from Johny Test a kid cartoon my son said he looked like that kids chains he wears, which are gold. I am hoping she is s she and is pretty. I am trying for more hens.

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
  9. Garrisonkidsduo2

Nov 4, 2011
    Williford, Arkansas
    I also have eggs from a Road island Red and a Buff Orpington Rooster, A Black Astralorp Hen and a Buff Orpington Rooster. They are all in the incubator and a Buff Orpington eggs. My Rooster was suppose to be a hen and turns out she was a he and we just kind of kept him we raise chickens every year to eat This was the first year we kept any for eggs and the first year we are incubating.

10. Cpprpnny19

Cpprpnny19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Middleboro
    FWIW: Someone on Craigslist here has 1/2 BR 1/2 BO hens for sale.

Says they are white with some barring on back.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by