What happens if...

goatkeepers

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Mooresville, NC
...at day 18, my embryos aren't as far along developmentally as they should be? Today is day 17 (wow, that came quick.
smile.png
) so tonight at 9 pm, I will turn for the last time. Which brings me to my first question:

With the egg carton method, do I leave them standing on one side from day 18-21? Or should I just set the carton flat down?

Second question:
When I candled again last night, the chicks are definitely growing, but I don't think they are as big as they should be at 16 days (last night). So what happens if they didn't grow like they were supposed to (I believe it was the large temp. swings in the beginning. The first couple of days in the 'bator were crazy. *lol*) and I stop turning and such at day 18? Will it just take them, say, 22 days to hatch? But then will the increased humidity drown them?

I think I will just act like tomorrow is day 18 and stop turning them tonight and hope for the best. I just really wanted to get y'alls opinion. Oh, and an answer on what to do with the egg carton? Set it down flat or on it's side? If side, which one?? Thanks! Please send good hatching vibes!
jumpy.gif

Quote:
I used the carton method. I put the eggs in,small side down,and laid the carton flat. With the part where you're not sure if they are developed enough..someone else would have to answer that question. Good luck !

Oh yes, wanted to ask you...according to your name on here, you have goats? I know this is a chicken site, but I have bought 2 five month old goats and not sure how to build their outside pen...if I could just tether them or what to do. They are occupying half of our barn right now. Anyway, It's ok if you don't answer this message since it is a chicken site.

Back
Top Bottom