What happens if...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TherryChicken, Sep 26, 2012.

1. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    You continue to turn the eggs until they hatch? Just curious..

2. ChickyBangBang

ChickyBangBang Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    This might not be correct, but it is what I was told by someone who raises chickens (which I haven't done *yet*, starting now).

Main Problem: Turning (manual and automatic) needs to cease (stop) the last 3 days because the last three days are the days in which the chick is moving into the hatch position (much like a human baby begins to go head down and stay there around 34-36 weeks). Turning the eggs disrupts the natural movement of the chicken into the correct hatching position and may end up causing it to be unable to hatch (due to being turned over in the egg, into such a position that is not natural or conducive to hatching).

Second Problem: Opening the incubator to turn them manually will cause a rush of air of a different humidity and it may cause any pip holes to be filled with dry air, and cause the chick to stick to the egg inside and not be able to hatch, and die...or worse, cause great pain because they'll often rip themselves away from the shell and tear their little selves apart.

Anyone more experienced - please feel free to correct me, but this is what I was told (not saying it's right, lol)

3. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Ok, well I have 2 eggs on lockdown in the incubator but 20 eggs won't be on lock kdown till the 2nd. What should i do with the eggs already on lock down? Should I put them in with my hens? Should I leave them in there and hope for the best? Or should I put them under a lamp with warm water near for humitity?

4. ChickyBangBang

ChickyBangBang Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Well I know what I would do if it were me, but I'm newbie and I've already managed to kill an egg the same day they arrived - so anything I say at this point is to be taken with a grain of salt.

I will say this though...my main concern would be whether or not the 2 that are on lockdown have pip holes in them. =/ Room temp air rushing into a pip hole is asking for trouble (but I'd wait and see what the more experienced chicken people have to say)

Whatever you end up doing, I pray you will get healthy chicks!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by