What happens in rainy season?

jackieandholly

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 6, 2012
I just got chicks and a 4'x8' coop and run. The coop is about 2'x4' and sits on top, while there is a 4'x8' space under for the chickens to run around. Part of the run that's not under the coop has no roof. The whole thing sits on top of dirt. Do I need to clean the poop off the dirt floor? Should I put pine shaving on the dirt floor? Here in SF Bay area, it doesn't get that cold, but what happens in rainy season? Will the chickens just run around on the wet muddy dirt? How do I clean the poop in wet rainy season? Thanks.

The pen will get muddy especially since its on the smaller side. They should be fine, I have some that feel the only time to be outside is if it is raining. For my birds with enclosed runs that are down to dirt I add sand and mulch so they have a drier base and something to scratch through. Wood shavings wouldn't last and would be a pain to clean out. You'll need to add mulch every so often just because it will disappear into the ground. You will probably have to scoop the poop out from where it is covered, but the outside pen, as long as it drains, rain should wash it away as long you don't get a build up. Then it probably be good to scoop it out too. Good luck to you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom