1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what happens to locked threads? and reeeeally old threads?

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by Dar, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    you would think that if you went to the very last page on the main menu... you would find all of the old locked threads..right?...well nope... is there a monster on the net eating them like there is a sock monster in the dryer?...

what about really old threads... how long do they stay on the data base before they just get booted?

can you tell i am bored tonight?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    The old threads are kept forever.
    I think the old threads were clean and just died a natural death.

3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Threads are ordered by the date and time of the last post, so you won't find all the locked threads on the last page. Locking a thread doesn't make it go to the end of the list.

"Cleanup" of the forum happens once in a while. In fact, we're due for a "spring cleaning" session eventually. Nifty-Chicken can probably explain more about what types of threads are removed and when.

4. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    so then when the time is right they will delete the locked threads.... makes sense...

but if a thread has been inactive for a long time will it just be dumped like in the spring cleaning?... and whats happens to decide that?.. age of post or information contained in that thread?..

sorry... can you tell my exams are done now till after the holidays...lol

5. Princess Amri

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:I'd hazard a guess that old Random Ramblings are the first to get weeded through and chicken topics get to stick around for ever.

6. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

The most simple answer: We don't expire or delete posts just because they are old. The only threads that are deleted are:

1) Ones that violate our rules
    2) Huge monster random rambling / game threads that don't add much valuable information / data to the forum or community or the internet. For example, here is a thread that will be closed and deleted during the Spring Cleaning (not deleted because it is bad, just because it does no good just being around taking up space): https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=168424

The
    threads to be deleted are on a case by case basis. We're very careful not to delete threads that have contents that people would really enjoy reading in the future.

Old threads that are "inactive" but contain any useful information will be kept indefinitely.

7. Princess Amri

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:I definitely understand THAT monster-thread going!

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:Nooooooooooooooooooo [​IMG]

That is my FAVORITE thread!!!!!

9. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

And we're learning how to make sugar cookies in a random thread. [​IMG]

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Nooooooooooooooooooo [​IMG]

That is my FAVORITE thread!!!!!

Okay Terrie, even old Grumplestiltskin here cracked a smile at that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by