1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What happens to male-sexed chicks from commercial hatcheries?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Amy's Animals, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Amy's Animals

Amy's Animals Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Idk if this is in the right section but I've always wondered when chicks are sexed and the pullets are set apart and shipped off to the feed stores, what happens to all those little, unwanted roos? Does anyone have an answer? Thanks [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Some are used as packing peanuts...frying pan specials, and some are made into pet food.

3. Lensters

Lensters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Adair Village, OR
    Euthanized

I forgot used as packing peanuts, though that is a pretty small percentage

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  4. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Quote:and most are thrown in the dumpster still alive

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Yep

6. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Not just pullets go to feed stores. They have straight run too and I bet 95% of those are roos.

7. Amy's Animals

Amy's Animals Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG] sad, wouldn't it be nice if scientists found a way to make it so the sex of a chick could be controlled? Like if hatcheries produced all pullets it would eliminate having to sex them and killing all those baby roos and if you wanted a roo, you could have just one and not take any chances with straight run and ending up with 5+ instead.

1 person likes this.
  8. Foxhound lady

Foxhound lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    TX baby!
    I do know that our feed store gets assorted staright run birds through the early part of spring the other one just gets layers

9. Lensters

May 14, 2009
    Adair Village, OR

Yep

That practice was banned over a decade ago. Now they are typical put down with gas or have their necks stretched. Then the carcass goes through a chopper so that the people don't see dead chicks at the dump.

10. Lensters

May 14, 2009
    Adair Village, OR
    Henry'schickens :

Not just pullets go to feed stores. They have straight run too and I bet 95% of those are roos.

Legally straight run can not have had any sorting done on them. However, many hatcheries cheat and pull some pullets from those groups. If you get 95% roos on a decent size order then they are being really blatant and should be reported to yours and their state's department of agriculture and attorney general.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by