What happens when there is only one left ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bokboklady, Dec 12, 2010.

1. bokboklady

bokboklady Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    i have 4 lovley birds, thay all get on together, regular layers, so i was wondering what would other people do in this situation if over time they gradually died for one reason or another and there was just one girl left on her own, as i dont plan to get any more as i wouldnt want them to outlive me and have nobody to care for them ( i'm getting on a bit !), these are they the sort of weird things i think about, but i would be interested on what you all have to say on this matter, thanks in advance

2. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

If you are not getting any more chickens then I would make sure I had someone I could give my last one or two girls too. A chicken should never be alone... they are birds and live in flocks are social animals and everyone needs a friend... I would not wait till there is just one left to rehome as it will be very hard on her to move into an existing flock by herself.

3. bokboklady

bokboklady Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    yes, i totaly agree with that, it makes me so sad just thinking about it, hopefully it wont be just yet as they are only about 9 months old

4. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I would find someone who has chickens and talk to them about taking mine if anything should happen to me.. There is always people wanting adult birds... We should all plan ahead for your animals NO matter our age! Youth doesn't guarantee life! That being said, as long as you are able and want chickens--I would say, get some more to go w/ the ones that are left..

5. Billjr

Billjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Central Jersey
    I had 6 RIR hen's that were killed by Racoon's all except one. She was by herself for three months, till June, before she met the 4 JG chicks I hatched in March. One chick was a rooster. He would not leave the old hen alone, or the others for that matter. She would not come out of her coop when the other birds were out. She stayed all alone until I gave her to the local County Park. They put her in a pen by herself in the yard for a week, to "meet" the other birds. Then she was put in a pen with a JG hen, a barred rock hen, a frizzle hen and a frizzle roo. I stopped to check on her today and she is doing fine. She even showed some dominance over the barred rock hen. Mt RIR hen is big so she won't be pushed around much. Now I have an empty coop next to the JG coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by