1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What happens when you cross

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SmallFarmUSA, Sep 15, 2016.

1. SmallFarmUSA

SmallFarmUSA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2016
    Indiana
    ...A Blue-laced Red Wyandotte roo with a buff Orpington hen? Has anyone had experience with these or can answer some questions such as:
    Pictures of what they'll look like?
    Egg color?
    Avg. eggs per year?
    Tendency to go broody?
    Basically any other info that comes to mind?

This is one of those "I thought my hen was eaten by a hawk, but found her sitting on a clutch of eggs three weeks later - now what?" moments. Thanks in advance!!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I think some of your answers can deduced by what each breed brings to the table. Egg color will be brown since they both lay brown eggs. My BOs have a tendency to be broody - I think Wyandottes less so. I don't know what they will look like but it seems like it would be an attractive cross??? I have read that BOs and Wyandottes lay 180-220 eggs/year. I think you'd get a good natured chicken - at least the BO side....they have been a little friendlier than the Wyandottes I've had. Just my 2 cents worth....and I'm sure worth about that much! [​IMG]

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

This.

1 person likes this.
  4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sorry, forgot to add he's currently about 3 months, but about two months in that picture, we will see how he develops.

5. SmallFarmUSA

Aug 19, 2016
    Indiana
    Thank you! BLRW are a new breed to me, and I only have a rooster, so know very little about them. :) I'm curious to see if some might keep the lacing.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I think the first generation cross will be mostly a darker orange like my rooster is, the second generation crosses might bring out some lacing after that, but i only had the one from a BLRW, the cross with my SLW ended up a columbian color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here a more recent photo, he has black in his tail.

7. SmallFarmUSA

Aug 19, 2016
    Indiana
    He's quite handsome, thanks for the pictures!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by