What happens when you let your kids name the chickens?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Nonny, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    My 12yr old has naming rights on our three newbies (all girls) arriving in a few weeks and her chosen names are... *drum roll please*

Bob... Steve... and Elmo.

*sigh*

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

3. flyjam1979

flyjam1979 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2011
    my names i pick are nearly as bad as the names my kids pick i have a chick i think is a girl named jack......i doubt the chickens care anyway.......i say go for it.........

4. Nonny

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    All that remains is choosing which chick gets which name. We have a Welsummer, Barnevelder and Ancona arriving. I'm guessing Elmo would have to be whichever one is going have the reddest colouring, but the others will be a coin toss I suspect.

5. S.L.Swope

S.L.Swope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    San Antonio
    Not too bad I have Ninja, Samurai, Woody and Jessie and Henny Penny. The last I picked the rest my 3yr old son. Oh and their all supposed to be pullets, at least we have 2 girl names in there [​IMG]

6. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I let the grandgirls name some of ours - They named Ariel (an EE - name from The Little Mermaid), Blackie (Jersey Black Giant) and Oreo (Ancona). They named our two cats, too - Snowball (he's not white - but they thought his fur looked fluffy) and Troy (after High School Musical).

7. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    My younger sister told me to name the head rooster,
    and I said something along the lines of, "I don't care what we call him... he can be Cockadoodledoo for all I care."

I didn't literally mean it, but still do this day, we refer to him as Cockadoodledoo... [​IMG]

8. Nonny

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    S.L.Swope :

Not too bad I have Ninja, Samurai, Woody and Jessie and Henny Penny. The last I picked the rest my 3yr old son. Oh and their all supposed to be pullets, at least we have 2 girl names in there [​IMG]

I might end up calling ours Bobbi, Stevie, and Ellie [​IMG]

9. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Well, you got 3 breeds that are flighty, so ii would say pick the favorite name for the friiendliest chicken....cuz you won't be cuddling with them long. My Ancona was CRAZY. She was always flying over the fence or hiding in the blackberry brambles. I finally gave her to my friend ( [​IMG] ) and told her she wasn't the friendliiest. Well, Spook (aptly named) took off across the street away from my friend and spent the night out in the woods. I felt bad then, cuz it made her son cry, but I also laughed a little that I got rid of my "wild" chickens and then got to hear tales about it.

Long story short, Spook diidntt like being in the woods at night and came back the next day.

10. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I'm setting up a bantam coop for my 6 yr. old little girl. So far we have Belle, Beauty, Cinderella, & Prince Charming. I guess I better build a palace for all these Princesses!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by