What happens when you take chicks from a mama hen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Featherland, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    How do you get her to accept her babies are gone and start laying again.?

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    How old were the chicks you took away from her ??

3. jessupfamily

jessupfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    Taking them will not make her lay any sooner. Sometimes she will even become broody again! I had a mama who's babies were killed at 4 days and another mama who's babies were fine. All were hatched within the same 3 days. The mama who raised her babies for about 6 weeks started laying sooner than the mama who lost her babies.

4. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    The chicks are 10 days old and I haven't taken them from her yet. Tomorrow they are all going to new homes unless I need to keep 2 for her. What is the average time they need to raise the chicks? Thank you.

5. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    let her raise them all for longer as to not disturb her broody cycle. u should wait till shes ready and when you are

6. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Quote:Depends on the hen and the clutch she hatched.

Our Jersey Black Giant hatched 2 pullets last year and was with them until they were 4 weeks old.

This year she has 5 chicks and they are almost 6 weeks old and she is still with them.

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Some hens wait 6 weeks and some wait longer, You should let her keep them, but if you cant keep them all at least let her keep 2 (dont want to screw up a broody hens head anymore than what it is)

8. jessupfamily

jessupfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    Definitely at least 6 weeks. That seems to be the average. They need to be with her to finish their growing up cycle as well. Since they have been with her for 10 days, they are used to eating with her and drinking with her also. They would be confused and have to re-learn the process.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by