What happens when....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chick1043, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I'm just curious but what happens when your incubator turns to 108 degrees (air temp)?

2. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Like what happens to eggs?

3. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Does the embryo get to hot and die? Or is there a chance they will survive? Anyone?

4. Hi Impatience! It depends on how long the temp was that high.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It depends upon how long it ran at the excessive temperatures. If for a considerable period of time in my experience such temperatures kill the embryo. Also in my experience lower temperatures seem to cause less problems.

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    108 is very high, 1st off how long was it that high or can you tell ??. What type of incubator is it, this will tell you allot. If they were at that temp for several hrs then I would guess no chance for hatch, some will tell you to keep them till hatch date has passed and that's fine if they don't rott first. Do you know your thermometer is accurate ??. What day were they on and do you know they are fertile ??

7. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I'm on day six and yes they were/are fertile. I think they were at 108 for about an hour. I really think they aren't gonna hatch. [​IMG]
    It's a home made incubator. It should be correct or at least around there because I have 4 thermostats in there. Will they smell if they are dead?

8. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:LOL!! [​IMG] Sorry!! I'm just so eager!!

9. Hi! I know, I'm, just teasing.
    They may be OK if it was just an hour.
    They won't smell right away if they died. You should be able to candle and tell if they are still living/developing.
    What I would do is take out a couple and candle now, then candle again in a day or so.
    I hope they are still growing!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

10. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:Thanks! Me too! So because it was about an hour does that mean its a 50-50 they will hatch?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by