What hardware is behind BYC?

Discussion in 'Website Announcements, Feedback, Issues, & Guides' started by Im4Eggcellence, May 11, 2009.

1. Im4Eggcellence

Im4Eggcellence Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    NW Washington State
    So, as a professional computer programmer, techie, and general nerd, I'm curious as to exactly what hardware/software is behind the scenes here. Anyone care to elaborate a little?

2. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    You can PM Nifty-Chicken, the owner. He is the man behind the curtain....The Wonderful Wizard of BYC. [​IMG]

3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

We run everything on a LAMP environment. Our servers are in a colo where we run on Intel Xeon Dual Quad core (yes, 8) CPU machine with 15K RPM hot swap SCSI/SAS Hard Drives in a RAID 10 config.

The colo has continuous battery backup, generators, more than a ton (literally) of cooling capacity, high tech security, and fire suppression. I'm a few thousand miles from the server, but fortunately I have full root access and can do pretty much everything except swap out hardware. Fortunately the NOC is staffed 24/7 so if/when I need help I can simply call and talk to someone.

Even though our datacenter provides extremely reliable systems and backups I am pretty picky about backups. I do daily backups of the entire forum database and keep up to 7 copies of these daily backup at various locations all over the planet! You can read more about how I backup all of BYC here: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/daily-mysql-database-backup.php

So
    , does that info feed your inner geek?

4. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    It's magic that makes BYC run... and pixie dust.

5. Im4Eggcellence

Im4Eggcellence Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    NW Washington State
    Quote:Yes, thank you that was a very nice geek snack [​IMG] It's amazing how much you can do with a LAMP environment these days... it's come a long ways. So what disto of Linux are you running? And any idea of the total size of the DB?

It's a very impressive site, I've been quite impressed with the response times realizing that there is obviously a lot of SQL/DHTML going on in the background.

The website developer app is quite impressive too for it's speed. Until recently, I was doing website work for the Nat'l Park Service - they have a template system built on top of the PaperThin Common Spot Content Server product and it's performance in web content generation was a real dog in comparison.

Thanks again for the "tour". [​IMG]

6. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Yes, thank you that was a very nice geek snack [​IMG] It's amazing how much you can do with a LAMP environment these days... it's come a long ways. So what disto of Linux are you running? And any idea of the total size of the DB?

It's a very impressive site, I've been quite impressed with the response times realizing that there is obviously a lot of SQL/DHTML going on in the background.

The website developer app is quite impressive too for it's speed. Until recently, I was doing website work for the Nat'l Park Service - they have a template system built on top of the PaperThin Common Spot Content Server product and it's performance in web content generation was a real dog in comparison.

Thanks again for the "tour". [​IMG]

x2!

7. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    wooaa....pixie dust indeed! Not being anythinggeeklike......it is indeed a miracle. Thank you for taking such good care of us!

8. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    [​IMG]

9. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    The first paragraph of Nifty's post might as well have been written in a foreign language! I barely understood any of it! [​IMG]

10. Oldfort_mailman

Oldfort_mailman "The Fortfather"

Jul 19, 2011
    cleveland tennessee
    Quote:I finished up my degree in information technology five years ago but since I was already full time at the post office I never use it. After reading the previous posts about the site and how it runs and on what software, all I could say if asked about it is that I have no earthly idea and "I am apparently not smarter than a fifth grader."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by