1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What has been the Noisiest Chicken breed you kept?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by GardeNerd, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Ameraucana

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Australorp

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Black Star or Black Sex linked

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Brahma

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Cochin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Delaware

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Easter Egger

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Faverolles

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Java

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Jersey Giant

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Leghorn

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  12. Marans

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. New Hampshire Red

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Orpington

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  15. Polish

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Production Red

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Red Star or Red Sex linked

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Rhode Island Red

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Silkie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Speckled Sussex

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  21. Welsummer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. Wyandotte

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

From your personal experience, what chicken breed would you NOT recommend for someone living in the city on a smaller lot or close to neighbors? Not counting Roosters, what has been your noisiest breeds out of these popular breeds for egg laying? I have a friend about to order chicks in the Spring and with my limited experience with the different breeds, I am looking to others' experience to help offer recommendations. Thanks, for helping us figure out the best backyard breeds for urban areas!

Please tell me YOUR quietest breed too! Thanks!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=276431

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  2. Byrdj

Byrdj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Commerce, GA
    Games would definitely be out! Both the hens and roosters are out.

3. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I didn't have games on our maybe list, but it is good to know to avoid them for sure. They are cool looking birds though.

The noisiest hen I can hear around here is the Red Star across the street, but boy does she lay consistent beautiful brown extra large to jumbo eggs. I doubt one will be on our wish list if they are all as loud as her. She is the only Red Star around, so I am unsure if we should put the breed on the "no" list.

There is also a noisy Black Australorp down the street, but over all she isn't too bad...mostly early morning talking and egg song stuff. I used to have a really talkative Black Australorp, too.

There are no roosters in the neighborhood as far as I know, and we are prohibited from keeping them based on the city code.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  4. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Could you give us more voting options please. [​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I wish I could have voted for two... .cuz my leghorns and my orpington are real noisy girls.

6. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Well I only have buff orps but they, or at least a few in the bunch, are extremely noisy. Never knew they could be so noisy. The stick their heads up in the air and cackle like you wouldn't believe. My friend who also keeps chickens says her are never loud like that. I think mine are spoiled and just love to complain![​IMG]

Wonder what they all be saying today when they are cooped up due to like 15 inches of snow on the ground????????[​IMG]

7. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I don't have any loud hens. I don't even think of hens as loud. Maybe my perception is different because I live out in the country.

Each one will sing the egg song after she lays, and on occasion something scares them and they give the alarm call. That can be quite loud. Depending on what the scary thing is. I do have one little Blue Andalusian hen that talks to me. Beepedy-beep-beep-beep. But you have to be right there with her to hear that. It's not loud at all.

8. ChicknJ

ChicknJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Central Florida
    Barred Rock hen, I have 4 of them and lord they are chatty. One of them goes a bit beyond chatty though. When she lays, she almost sounds like something is killing her. She has been laying over a year now, no change, still BAWKS like no tomorrow. When she first started laying me and the rooster would run to her, now, we both ignore her

9. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Lauralou, you are lucky, mine make so much noise sometimes I cringe. But they make us laugh. We try to imitate their sound but it's impossible. They go ACHK, gak, gak, gak, gak, ACHK, gak, gak, gak, gak, ACHK, gak, gak, gak, gak over and over and over again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And they seriously throw their heads up into the air for further effect. They are quite the spoiled brats!

Quote:

10. cowpie

cowpie Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2008
    Dorset,Ohio
    I'm voting for the Buffs as the most talky, I have my first batch of them and they never stop!As soon as they hear you coming,there they go chatting up a storm!!!!AND GATHER AROUND YOUR FEET LOOKING FOR A TREAT!!!Hubby says they are spoiled,I say the are the best girls I have ever had in 20 years of chickens!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by