what has been your average/most common sex ratio?

froggyphore

Songster
Sep 20, 2019
i know the real average is 50/50, but in practice, how often have you guys gotten that or close? im getting straight run for the first time as theres a few breeds i can only find unsexed and im wondering if its realistic to expect even a 1/3 or 2/5 pullet to cockerel ratio. thx :)

LadiesAndJane

Life is good...
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
May 16, 2014
Hawaii
You have this posted under incubation and hatching eggs. Do you mean from hatches that we’ve had or when we purchased straight run chicks?🤔

Fallenone05

Songster
6 Years
Oct 7, 2015
SE Oklahoma
My tiny little incubator only holds 6 eggs at a time. This year when I hatched, I had 4 boys to 2 girls, and that 60/40 ratio is pretty common for me. :/

When my hen hatched her own eggs, only 3 made it to hatch day, one died as it got pushed out from under momma by the hatched babies but the 2 that made it are both girls.

froggyphore

Songster
Sep 20, 2019
You have this posted under incubation and hatching eggs. Do you mean from hatches that we’ve had or when we purchased straight run chicks?🤔
i guess from hatchery, either is fine though. i know they’re probably a little different but i want as many examples as possible so i know what to expect :) sorry if this is the wrong forum! sometimes i’m not sure which to post under.

LadiesAndJane

Life is good...
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
May 16, 2014
Hawaii
i guess from hatchery, either is fine though. i know they’re probably a little different but i want as many examples as possible so i know what to expect :) sorry if this is the wrong forum! sometimes i’m not sure which to post under.
No, you’re fine! I just wasn’t sure what you were asking. Honestly it really is a 50-50 shot on each chick that you get regardless if it’s from a hatchery (straight run) or you hatch your own! Hatching your own is the same as straight run then. The first time I hatched chicks 11/15 were
Cockerels!
Since then it’s been approximately 50/50, I’ve lost track.😊
The smaller number you have, normally, the more skewed your odds can be. This is just normal statistical variation.
Good luck with your hatch!🥰

Top Bottom