What has been your male / female ratio when ordering straight runs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kelly G, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

I am getting ready to order some Polish and Silkie bantams. It is VERY expensive to order sexed bantams ($10 per pullet)...so I think I'll order a straight run (less than $3.00 per bird).

I would LOVE to end up with 6 Polish and 1 Silkie pullets. My dilemma is how many to order so I can get the females I want without ending up with a crazy number of cockrels (they will have to go). The way I figure: 7 sexed pullets will cost me $70 - and I can purchase 24 from a straight run for that amount!!! Plus this would ensure any (sad) attrition would be compensated by the extras that I ordered.

My question is this: When you've ordered a "straight run," how many males / females did you recieve? How many did you order all together?

before you point out that I should, theoretically, have a 50/50 split - I want to know what your real-life experience has been...I understand the science/math - just looking for reality [​IMG]

Thanks for taking the time, everyone! I appreciate it!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  2. Eggzactly

Eggzactly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    marietta
    I got 8 roosters out of 25 chicks I ordered from Sandhill preservation last year.

3. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    maybe 15 polish and 3 silkies, more to be sure. 16 polish 4 silkies would probably get you what you want.

4. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    It varies. I sold a friend 10 Sussex chicks. She got 8 hens. I have 80 percent roosters out of the approximately 50 sussex I have. I got 7 Drakes out of 10 From Holdereads, and 50-50 from Cackle.

5. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I've had really really good luck with st runs being 50/50 from Ideal, even on my bantams.

I will say my broody hatched 5 roosters out of 6 eggs for me recently....not good luck there [​IMG]

6. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    i orderd 10 silkies last year...i only know for sure one roo(beliee there is more)...i kept two of my packing peanuts and ended up with one pullet and one roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by