What has killed my duck?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by slippyslop, Nov 7, 2014.

1. slippyslop

slippyslop New Egg

Nov 7, 2014
    Hi

I hope someone can help. We have just discovered one of our indian runner ducks has been killed. The body was in the middle of the lawn and my other 5 ducks were in their house. She had a wound on her chest and apparently no other damage. She was definately the bottom of the flock and was often chased by the other ducks. We are not sure what could have killed her. Could it have been the other ducks or rats? Any help would be appreciated. We do have a picture but I am not sure of the etiquette of putting it up.

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    You could post a picture, don't worry people have posted pictures of dead attacked chickens ect. so...
    I'm not sure what it could be so you probably posting a picture might be best. Very sorry it happened!

3. slippyslop

slippyslop New Egg

Nov 7, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Sorry I don't know [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    Very sorry for your loss. It could have been any number of predators. I would guess a dog because she was killed, but not eaten.

6. jacksonnotary

jacksonnotary Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2014
    Clarksville, TN
    I can't see very well on the photo. Does it look like a bite wound or could it be a bullet or something?
    Very sorry for your loss.

7. slippyslop

slippyslop New Egg

Nov 7, 2014
    Hi
    It does look like a single bite. We also noticed that we have another duck that was attacked on the same day and survived. He has a number of bites all along his chest, almost in a straight line. Could this be done by a rat do you think?

8. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    A Raccoon did this to one of my ducks last winter so sorry! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by