What has she done? A Silkie!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by greatchicken, Jul 10, 2011.

1. greatchicken

greatchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Michigan
    My wife went to pick up some ducks that she has been looking for and came home with a black silkie for our daughter. What is she doing? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now what do I do? I have a flock of standard size birds. Will they except it when it gets to full size? Is there anything special I need to know about them?

I am not sure how old it is. My daughter has fallen in love with this bird. I really was not ready for this bird. Any help?

Thanks
    Shun

2. Rhondax6

Rhondax6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    Awwww I don't have silkies but I do know one chick will be very lonely. Now you'll need another asap [​IMG] Good luck!

3. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:X2.. you should send the wife back to get it a buddy (another silkie)

4. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    yes, having more than one chick is very importent, not only for the chick's well being, but in terms of chicken math also [​IMG]

seriously tho it is importent. chicks raised alone can become mean or antisocial.

5. greatchicken

greatchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:We have 16 eggs in the incubator that are suppose to be hatching in a couple of days. My wife got it because it was the last one and her and my daughter felt sorry for it being alone. [​IMG]

6. austincoopersilkiesies

austincoopersilkiesies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Downingtown Pa
    Another Bantam Chick If not another silkie because it will be the only one of its size but it is like any other chick except when an adult it needs a roost no higher than 1'5" But Thee Are SO Smart Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG] He Or She Looks To Be At least 5 weeks old the standards will except it if the is atleast 1 other bantam!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  7. Debbienmousey

Debbienmousey Chillin' With My Peeps

Silkies are great birds and make GREAT "pets". The age is hard to tell but I'd say it's at least 3-4 weeks just because of it's size and feathering. (I'm definitely no expert though, I've only owned Silkies for a little over a year) It will be fairly small compared to your standard birds, depending on what their breed(s) are. What breed(s) of standards do you have? If you have some mixed breeds(or smaller purebreds) that are a little smaller than the others you can probably house them (the smaller ones) with the Silkie later on. It would be good if you could find another bantam chick about the same age.

Silkies should be kept out of the rain as much as possible until they get to at least 6 months old, mainly at night or when it's cooler. (I know it's summer right now, but you may want to be careful in the fall) If they go in the rain during the day then that's probably fine, just make sure it doesn't get chilled or stay in the rain all night. As for roosting, yes the roosts should be low although you can have them staggered and that will help. What we have in the coop for the Silkies is a ramp that leads up to the roosts. Some of them stay on the lower roosts and others jump/fly up to the higher one.

Good luck and have fun with your new little Silkie!

8. Taylorhens

Taylorhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Aubrey, TX
    Quote:My 2 silkies and 1 bantam cochin do just fine in with my standard size chickens. I wouldn't worry. Just wait until the chick is bigger and then take your time integrating them.

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:I have never heard of this, usually it's just the opposite! [​IMG] When ever I am brooding just one chick they're always the friendliest of the bunch. Last year a broody hatched out babies and left one behind so I brought it in the house and the chick bonded with me and would cry and cry until I picked her up. She would follow me around the house like a pup and would never be silent unless in my apron pocket.

~ Aspen

10. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Quote:I have never heard of this, usually it's just the opposite! [​IMG] When ever I am brooding just one chick they're always the friendliest of the bunch. Last year a broody hatched out babies and left one behind so I brought it in the house and the chick bonded with me and would cry and cry until I picked her up. She would follow me around the house like a pup and would never be silent unless in my apron pocket.

~ Aspen

yeah the ones i had started out nice, but both ended up afraid of and mean to other chickens [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by