What hatch rate to expect after USPS delayed my shipment by 2day

Discussion in 'Quail' started by finsfan79, Nov 15, 2010.

1. finsfan79

finsfan79 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2010
    Florida
    Was wondering what hatch rate to expect after USPS delayed my shipment by 2days (Delivered to the wrong address).

Assuming Texas A&M eggs are 5-7 days old how many out of 18 should i expect to hatch (Hova 1588)?

Whats a good/bad range in amount days to wait from the time an egg is laid to placing in the incubator?

Thanks
    Manny

2. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I don't know, just bumping this so it doesn't get buried. People must be busy today.

Also, if nobody gets to you, then check out the sticky at top or even if they do. Look at the float test and then down below will be a video to show an example in one of the messages. Check that out and about day 19 or 20 you may want to do a float test. That will tell you if the wait is over.

Somebody will be along, they always check to see if newbies are giving out decent info. Good thing to, cause sometimes I am wrong, but not this time. Done that test and it works.

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I'm going to say probably 40% or about 7-8 eggs. IF they are in fact 5-7 days old, they should be in the semi normal range for shipped eggs.

4. ssbs

ssbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    40-50%

I had some that took 5 days after shipment to arrive. So by the time they were incubated they were 6-7 days old and I had about a 45% hatch rate

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    50% Is Considered A Good Hatch On Shipped Eggs, Its Impossible To Suggest With An Acuracy What Your Hatch Rate May Be In Any Scenario Where They Are Not Your Eggs To Begin With, There's Just Way Too Many Variables And Unless You Have Collected Them And Cared For Them Yourself You Wont Know Many If Any At All Of These Answers. I Can Tell You Coturnix Eggs Do Best If Set Between 3 And 7 Days Old, Still Maintain Decent Hatchability Up To 10 Days Old, After That Your Hatchability Factor Takes A Serious Nose Dive. The Problem Is These Are Not Your Eggs, They Have Been Purchased From Another Entity And You Have No Idea 1. How Old They Are To Begin With, 2. How Were They Collected And Stored, 3. How Good Is The Stock They Come From And Other Breeder Factors Which Play A Roll In Hatchability. Did The Producer Collect Them When Freshly Laid? Or Did They Leave Them In The Pen In Extreme Temperatures All Day And Collect Only Once? Were They Adequately Padded And Shipped? God Only Knows What Usps Did To Them While In Their Posession, Or The Recipient Who Got The Wrong Package... You See The Variable List Is Quite Lengthy, But The Answer List Is Quite Short...

All You Can Do Is Set Them And Prepare For The Worst And Hope For The Best... Good Luck And Let Us Know How It Turns Out For You [​IMG]

6. finsfan79

finsfan79 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2010
    Florida
    Thanxs guys. Hoping to get 50% on my first hatch. lets see if that extra money i spent getting the hova 1588 with quail turner pays dividens.
    I'll keep you posted.

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:ITS AS GOOD AS ANY OTHER COOLERBATOR OUT THERE AND PROBABLY BETTER THAN MOST [​IMG]

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quail eggs seem to hatch better if they are at least 5 days old when they're set, so I'd say at least 50% provided you don't mess it up [​IMG]

9. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Couple years ago I order 100 bobwhite eggs from minnasota they got lost in the mail for 2 weeks. about 20 were broke so I had 80 left put them in the incubator final hatch 55 I was very surprised. So you just never know. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by