What hatcheries do YOU recommend?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by jeremy, Jan 8, 2010.

1. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I'm looking at purchasing some day-olds from a hatchery this spring to boost my laying flock, Buff Orps and Australorps to be exact. I had considered going with MMcM, but I wanted to hear what others had to say.

Does anybody have any good words to say about any specific hatcheries? I'm not necessarily looking for a SQ bird, just one that lays well and generally represents the breed overall. I'm looking to ordering at least 20 chicks, if that helps at all.

Thanks!!

2. G Wiz Ranch

G Wiz Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Lompoc, CA
    I have ordered from both Ideal (500+ chicks, 20 ducks) and Cackle (100 chicks), I am happy with both, but I really like Ideal, great service, fast, honest and the birds are great too.

3. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I've heard mixed reviews about Ideal, mostly weak/sick birds that end up not making it, I wouldn't want that!

4. G Wiz Ranch

G Wiz Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Lompoc, CA
    Quote:500+ I didn't get that.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  5. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I went with Ideal and it was great. Michaela Fuchs hand picked my silkies, because I wanted a couple vaulted skull ones. Customer Service doesnt get much better than that!! [​IMG]

I lost a few in the first batch, but ideal sent me replacements, No questions asked. [​IMG]

The SHIPPING is what makes them weak. (IMO)

Jason

6. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i bought from cackle last year ordered 25. got 27 all heathly , good service.

7. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Purely Poultry is fantastic.The chicks are very healthy and nice.Customer service is super.They are now the only hatchery I will buy from if I need hatchery chicks.

8. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I would say the best is Sandhill Preservation but we have ordered from Ideal Most of the birds are not true to breed We ordered red cochins and they are red and black They arrived healthy and all but not true to breed. We also ordered from Meyers but that was for broilers. Now I would order from them again ordered 30 meaties got 32 processed 32. If you want really true to type birds check out Sandhill I have there orps and they are huge and very true to type. Don't know about australopes as we got ours from a breeder.

9. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

While I'll agree that some hatcheries are probably better than others, the problem with a thread like this is that everyone forms their own opinions based on their experience. If they order 'delicate' chicks, and receive them with a large number DOA, instant bad rap for that hatchery. Whereas, if they receive their chicks without problems, instant good rap. The problem is that there is so many unknowns between the hatcheries brooder and your doorstep that anything could happen whether you order from one with a good rep or not.

For instance, I *once* ordered Polish from McMurray (I say once because I'm not a fan of hatchery stock to begin with). Nearly all of them were DOA, so I ordered replacements. Nearly all of the replacements arrived DOA as well. The hatchery had overwhelmingly good customer service and was more than willing to send me a third shipment, but I chalked it up to where I lived, and the extra long transit times that came with the territory. Could I have made the decision that McMurray just had bad stock from sick birds? Sure, I guess I could have, but that wouldn't be fair to them.

With all of the above being said, my advice is to pick the most well known hatchery that is closest to your area. You'll get as many recommendations as there are breeds.

10. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Their is also a hatchery review page at the top of the forum. When you do buy from a hatchery please leave your review their. Lots of people have different opinions on hatcheries. I am not one who is very happy with Ideal. My Favorites are the smaller ones. Mt. Healthy was recommended to me by the expert Matt John. They have wonderful birds. Hoover's is also a really good place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by