What hatchery do you think has the best meaties

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by deChickyHen, Oct 9, 2011.

1. deChickyHen

deChickyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    I ordered minds from welp.... All hens... and none of them seem to dress over 7 lbs in 8 weeks.... I have seen on here where people have had 9 up to 12 pounders... who did you order from? whats your biggest Dress pounds? I'm courious... Im thinking of doing meaties agian... but I don't think I want to go through welp again.... any info sharing would be great ... Thanks

2. Mamma_Duck04

Mamma_Duck04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Crazyville, VA
    The males will get bigger than the females. They (the hatcheries) generally recommend using the females as fryers (smaller) or growing out to 10-12wks, & use the males for broilers/roasters at the 8wk-ish time frame. Sounds like you just need to give your females more time to beef up, or order males.

3. crowhard

crowhard New Egg

Aug 20, 2010
    irvington,alabama
    I ordered 25 male meaties from Welp on 9/21 and received 29 on 9/23. all arrived alive and well on a trip from Northern Iowa to coastal Alabama. I lost 1 on the 25th and none up to this point. they started outgrowing my two smaller brooders so I moved them to a large brooder, I had 14 to a brooder and when I moved them I weighed them in 14 bird lots one was 15 1/2 lbs. the other 15 1/4 lbs. at the age of 2 weeks 2 days. As far as your weights on your pullets I think I would be pleased to dress them out at 7 or near pounds, Welp's broiler body weight and feed chart suggest live weights on females at 8 weeks to be 7.421 lbs. LIVE WEIGHT, so it seems to me you did quite well.

northern

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We use Welp and are very happy with the birds. Last season, we got straight run and at 8wks, our birds ranged from 4.5-6.5lbs (dressed). This season we are trying cockerels only and our first processing is on Tuesday (7wks). They look great though and I'm a little worried they will be too big. We shoot for an average of 5lbs as that is what our customers seem to want the most.

5. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Quote:7 pounds in 8 weeks is good. It's possible that you were feeding different feed than other folks. I ordered a straight run from Schelt and at 8 weeks, the weights were between 5 and 7 pounds. I had 25 birds. They got two 50 pound bags of starter then finished with Flock Raiser.

6. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    A 7lb hen in 8 weeks is great. If you want larger birds, you'll need to get cockerels.

7. Tumbleweed Farm

Tumbleweed Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Benton City, WA
    :)Got my meaties from Ideal, processed at 8 wks, straight run. dressed weight of 5.5 to 7.5 lba, pure meat, no giblets included in weight--theyare sooo good!

8. brandislee

brandislee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    I agree- it's not the hatchery that's going to make a difference, it's the gender of the chick provided you're feeding them well. I get chicks from Hoovers in Iowa just because it's the closest I can find and it's who my feed store orders from, but the decision was purely geographical since I want the chicks to travel as little as possible. I get standard run and my hens are usually around 5lbs dressed and the cocks are usually right around 7lbs. And really I wouldn't want them any bigger- as other say the cocks make good (huge! they almost don't fit in my clay baker at that size!) roasters and the hens make good fryers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by