1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What have I done???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by imaleomom, Nov 25, 2008.

1. imaleomom

imaleomom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    SC
    I just brought home 11 eggs and an incubator. Why??

I clearly was not thinking straight. I don't know what I'm doing.

Can anyone point me to a newbie guide to incubating eggs??

2. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    At the very top of this page, click on "Learning Center". It has all the basic info!

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Not that I know personally, but it is worse than any drug you could have tried!! You will either hate it or love it!! (most times you will probably be wanting to rip your hair out [​IMG] ) Good luck!

4. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    One of the "Most" frustrating experiences i have ever had [​IMG]

5. Crazy_For_Chickens

Crazy_For_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Minnesota
    You will have to wait 21 days before they hatch. There are two basic types of incubator that I am going to talk about still-air and forced-air. forced-air has a fan and still-air doesn't. The forced-air incubator's temp. should be 99.5 degrees F and the still-air should be about 102 degrees F, but different incubator types have different degrees. The humidity should be around 86 degrees F on your hygrometer(if you have one) for forced-air and for still-air it should be about 60 percent. But on the last three days raise the humidity up to 91 degrees or 70 percent. You will have to turn the eggs three times a day like when you get up in the morning when you get home from work and then when you go to bed you also might want to put an X on one side and O on the other so you know which side to flip next. You should also candle your eggs. You can do this every day because eggs need a cooling period about 15-30 min. a day. When you want to raise the humidity more then you should sprinkle warm drops of water over the eggs.

If you need more info just go to the learning center.
    I hope this is what you needed to hear.
    CFC

6. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    [​IMG] Thank You for this I'm going to print this out and maybe my next time incubateing won't be so frustrating [​IMG]

7. imaleomom

imaleomom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    SC
    So far so good. Learning as we go!!

8. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I'm sorry. But why...on EARTH would eggs need a cooling period?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by