What have I done?

MyGirlDitto

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2022
I am new to ckickens... So new, that I will receive my first 10 chicks on Thursday. I bought these 10 from Tractor Supply. They are coming to me non-vaccinated. Their website mentions feeding medicated food. I read through a lot of the threads on here that say medicated feed is not necessary so long as you keep their area clean. That is easy enough. However, should these birds be vaccinated and if so am I supposed to do it myself if so, what am I looking for?

Next issue that I have created for myself, I also ordered 5 more chicks from a local feed store, which come vaccinated. They will be available about 2 weeks later than my first 10. Do I need to keep them separated?

Thank you for all of your advise.

I am new to ckickens... So new, that I will receive my first 10 chicks on Thursday. I bought these 10 from Tractor Supply. They are coming to me non-vaccinated. Their website mentions feeding medicated food. I read through a lot of the threads on here that say medicated feed is not necessary so long as you keep their area clean. That is easy enough. However, should these birds be vaccinated and if so am I supposed to do it myself if so, what am I looking for?

Next issue that I have created for myself, I also ordered 5 more chicks from a local feed store, which come vaccinated. They will be available about 2 weeks later than my first 10. Do I need to keep them separated?

I would give them medicated, I always have and my chicks are healthy. You don’t have to vaccinate, it is your choice and they will be okay so long as you keep their brooder clean. GOOD LUCK!!! and show us pictures of them!

Vaccinated chicks need to be kept isolated for two weeks until resistance is acquired.

For some reason, most feed stores such as TSC do not order their chicks vaccinated. You can do it yourself, but it's wasteful since you have to buy vaccine for a huge flock.

Having some chicks vaccinated while some are not is impractical and won't accomplish much. As for the medicated feed, it has low dose amprolium added to encourage resistance to coccidia found in your local soil. This also isn't really necessary. Chicks will acquire resistance naturally as they are exposed to low levels of the parasite. To accomplish this, many of us simply "innoculate" our new chicks by placing a clump of sod in their brooder during the first two weeks so they may eat the dirt and munch the grass and this encourages their immune systems to develop resistance during their "window" of immunity.

I have never vaccinated my chicks before. I have fed medicated AND also fed nonmedicated. It is honestly your choice. Medicated chick starter has a tiny bit of amprolium, which is also the same thing as corid. Corid is a medication for coccidiosis and coccidiosis can kill chicks at an early age. Coccidiosis is an intestinal disease that can cause blood in their stools and cause chicks to become legthargic. It is caused by coccidia, a parasite that is naturally found in the soil. The amount of amprolium in medicated feed is not enough to treat a slightly worse case of coccidiosis, so it is mostly just a preventative. Some people like to introduce dirt to their chicks so that they build immunity themselves with no outside help. However, some folks also like to provide medicated feed during this time. It is entirely your choice, I hope this helps. :)

I hear that if they are vaccinated and you give them medicated feed they cancel each other out and they become susceptible to coccio again

Vaccinated chicks need to be kept isolated for two weeks until resistance is acquired.

For some reason, most feed stores such as TSC do not order their chicks vaccinated. You can do it yourself, but it's wasteful since you have to buy vaccine for a huge flock.

Having some chicks vaccinated while some are not is impractical and won't accomplish much. As for the medicated feed, it has low dose amprolium added to encourage resistance to coccidia found in your local soil. This also isn't really necessary. Chicks will acquire resistance naturally as they are exposed to low levels of the parasite. To accomplish this, many of us simply "innoculate" our new chicks by placing a clump of sod in their brooder during the first two weeks so they may eat the dirt and munch the grass and this encourages their immune systems to develop resistance during their "window" of immunity.
I live in North Idaho where we still have a couple of feet of snow on the ground. These little girls will be in the house in a 100 gallon water trough for the next several weeks.... Do you think in this case I might need to use medicated feed or just dig up some earth for them to dig around in?

Do I need to keep them separated?
Are your second chicks being vaccinated for coccidiosis or Marek's?

No need to keep them separate.. just don't put any of them out on pasture until two weeks later.

Medicated feed is for coccidiosis.. which is not a problem as long as water is kept clean and shavings are kept DRY. Since it IS low dose, chicks may still need treatment if conditions become too poopy (keep water clean from poop) and wet.

Mareks vaccine can only be given at hatch or shortly after to be considered effective. Coccidia vaccine.. is irrelevant to small keepers with plenty of space.

Coccidiosis can be very deadly, and only one or two of the 9-11 known strains that effect chickens will present as blood in droppings. Chicks are born with coccidia already in their gut and they are in every poo.. but only a concern with over growth (excessive ingestion of sporulated eggs).. sporulated means had exposure time to air.. so it isn't even caused by the chicks sampling another's waste as I've seen them take a direct drink. :sick Corid on hand to treat IF suspected need arises would be MY choice over low dose medicated feed. I've probably raised close to 1000 chicks and only need to treat when cramming brooders together due to failed heat lamp and being gone all day with them drinking from standard waterer. Nipple waterers help prevent that. AND heat plates don't burn out like lamps (in the middle of the night on the weekend when no stores are open) and pay for themselves in electricity on a single brood.. far superior choice if you're still deciding!

The clump of dirt from pasture is great inoculation to prevent coccidiosis before heading to pasture full time and highly recommended! But should NOT be done during the quarantine phase of Marek's vaccine.

Marek's vaccinated chicks will not effect non vaccinated or vise versa.. noting that Marek's vaccine ONLY hides the symptoms if the birds are infected so you won't know it or have to deal with it. Marek's is considered ubiquitous.

Hope your babies are loud and healthy when they arrive!

ETA: amprolium works by mimicking thiamine to starve out and slow the growth of coccidia.. it does not actively kill anything and any supplement that includes B vitamins may negate it's use. It is not an antibiotic.

Last edited:
Are your second chicks being vaccinated for coccidiosis or Marek's?

No need to keep them separate.. just don't put any of them out on pasture until two weeks later.

Medicated feed is for coccidiosis.. which is not a problem as long as water is kept clean and shavings are kept DRY. Since it IS low dose, chicks may still need treatment if conditions become too poopy (keep water clean from poop) and wet.

Mareks vaccine can only be given at hatch or shortly after to be considered effective. Coccidia vaccine.. is irrelevant to small keepers with plenty of space.

Coccidiosis can be very deadly, and only one or two of the 9-11 known strains that effect chickens will present as blood in droppings. Chicks are born with coccidia already in their gut and they are in every poo.. but only a concern with over growth (excessive ingestion of sporulated eggs).. sporulated means had exposure time to air.. so it isn't even caused by the chicks sampling another's waste as I've seen them take a direct drink. :sick Corid on hand to treat IF suspected need arises would be MY choice over low dose medicated feed. I've probably raised close to 1000 chicks and only need to treat when cramming brooders together due to failed heat lamp and being gone all day with them drinking from standard waterer. Nipple waterers help prevent that. AND heat plates don't burn out like lamps (in the middle of the night on the weekend when no stores are open) and pay for themselves in electricity on a single brood.. far superior choice if you're still deciding!

The clump of dirt from pasture is great inoculation to prevent coccidiosis before heading to pasture full time and highly recommended! But should NOT be done during the quarantine phase of Marek's vaccine.

Marek's vaccinated chicks will not effect non vaccinated or vise versa.. noting that Marek's vaccine ONLY hides the symptoms if the birds are infected so you won't know it or have to deal with it. Marek's is considered ubiquitous.

Hope your babies are loud and healthy when they arrive!

ETA: amprolium works by mimicking thiamine to starve out and slow the growth of coccidia.. it does not actively kill anything and any supplement that includes B vitamins may negate it's use. It is not an antibiotic.
They are being vaccinated for Marek's. I didn't request it, they just come that way.

They are being vaccinated for Marek's. I didn't request it, they just come that way.
That can prevent a ton of heartache especially for pet keepers that aren't breeding! Marek's does hit hard here some years, effecting as much as 30% of the un-vaccinated juveniles. Other years, not a single one! I thought I was breeding for resistance, but it's complex. I WAS against vaccinating (for Marek's), but have since decided that it's great to have options. Any way to contact the hatchery (my TSC uses Hoover) and add the vaccine to your chicks that are hatching today to arrive Thursday, just for general purpose? Shipping hasn't gone out yet even usually, though I'm not sure if boxing is already completed.. they usually work hard to meet our needs.

Keep them indoors for the two weeks and no dirt from the outside during that time.

Feeding medicated does not harm anyone and it's just a personal choice. Resistance is the main reason I rather treat something if I need to, noting that my husbandry practice IS the "prevention" method.. In some regions folks must resort to using a sulpha (antibiotic) drugs.

That can prevent a ton of heartache especially for pet keepers that aren't breeding! Marek's does hit hard here some years, effecting as much as 30% of the un-vaccinated juveniles. Other years, not a single one! I thought I was breeding for resistance, but it's complex. I WAS against vaccinating (for Marek's), but have since decided that it's great to have options. Any way to contact the hatchery (my TSC uses Hoover) and add the vaccine to your chicks that are hatching today to arrive Thursday, just for general purpose? Shipping hasn't gone out yet even usually, though I'm not sure if boxing is already completed.. they usually work hard to meet our needs.

Keep them indoors for the two weeks and no dirt from the outside during that time.

Feeding medicated does not harm anyone and it's just a personal choice. Resistance is the main reason I rather treat something if I need to, noting that my husbandry practice IS the "prevention" method.. In some regions folks must resort to using a sulpha (antibiotic) drugs.
According to my tracking they shipped out today. If it were you, would you get whatever it takes to vaccinate these birds for Marek's especially since the other one's I am getting are already vaccinated for it? Where do I get that vaccine? How is it administered?

From what I have read, it seems like the vaccine needs to be given to the chick at day 1. I will get them on day 3. Is it pointless?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom