What have I done????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JerseyHen, Feb 21, 2013.

1. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    I was an innocent bystander, just living vicariously through others that were enjoying hatching, then I started looking. I mean what harm can come from looking at incubators? It would be nice to have one when a broody quits on you or you want to try to get something really rare, right? I mean, I won't start hatching every egg I find will I? [​IMG]

Well, I just caved and bought a hovabator genesis 1588 with the whole deal: LCD display, egg turner, quail racks, and 30 quail eggs to get started with (came with the package). I don't even know about quail, but they came with it so I am going to learn really fast. Why do I feel like I just gave into the dark side? [​IMG]

Here is to all of you, enablers all.[​IMG] I hope you are all ready for the bazillion questions I have as I enter into this brave new world of incubation and the requests for eggs as I become progressively more and more addicted. I am sure I will be chronicling the adventure on a blog somewhere. Here we goooooooo.....

Total incubation newbie ready for the onslaught of advice from those who have gone before! What are the pitfalls? What are the cool tips you can pass along? How do I hide the ebay egg buying compulsion from my loved ones (or do I just insist on their acceptance)? [​IMG]

2. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Good job on buying that! You will not regret it. Hatching eggs is so fun and enjoyable! PM me if you wanna talk!!!!

3. rosemi78

rosemi78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    Lol, awesome post. Good luck you you, JerseyHen! I'm afraid this is rather, umm, addicting. Just a little. mhmm

4. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    The way I have made my husband okay with my hatching eggs is making chicken friends. Chicken friends with breeds I want, who want my breeds. That way you are just trading, nothing paid but shipping. [​IMG]

And when my husband gripes, I tell him simply,"This is my friend you are talking about. We are sharing things we love, isn't that what friends do?" *puppy dog eyes* *followed by a slight glare then a smile*
    It has been working for me for a few years.

5. JerseyHen

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    Nice! So now I just have to find some friendly peeps who want to trade... let's see, in a month or so I will have Barred Plymouth Rocks, Dark Brahmas, and a pen with a blue wheaten ameraucana over an assortment of tinted and brown egg layers and blue wheaten ameraucana hens (should result in some pure BWA, and easter/olive eggers).

6. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Dark Brahmas huh? Interested in Giant Cochins or Blue, black, and splashed Sizzles? Maybe some Speckled Sussex? [​IMG]

7. JerseyHen

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    I don't have any cochins so I think I should remedy that... lol. I love speckled sussex. I don't have a pic of my current rooster, but here is his brother Leroy:

[​IMG]
    I don't have any pics of the hens yet. I will see if I can get some in the computer.

8. tristancolli

tristancolli Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Kinmount
    a little addicting isnt the words to explain it. It is so addicting hatching and the first couple lockdowns you have are going to me life controlling lol no sleep for 3 days and i have hatched button quail before with a very bad experience. I found they were alot harder to keep alive then the chickens so i hope you have a good experience. when does your bator and everything come???

9. tristancolli

Aug 25, 2009
    Kinmount
    also to be honest i would stay away from ebay eggs. you can find alot of different and sometimes really rare breeds in the buy sell trade section of this form and with the sellers being chicken lovers also they will ships and package with alot more care then some people on ebay.

10. tristancolli

Aug 25, 2009
    Kinmount
    also to be honest i would stay away from ebay eggs. you can find alot of different and sometimes really rare breeds in the buy sell trade section of this form and with the sellers being chicken lovers also they will ships and package with alot more care then some people on ebay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by