What have I got?? My chicks arrived one hour ago.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stormy, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Stormy

Stormy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    South Carolina
    I was suppose to have 25 "brown layers", 2 "easter egg" layers, and one "exotic.

They were shipped Wednesday and they arrived at my local PO today (Friday) at 10:10am. I was waiting there for them and brought them straight home. When I opened the box there was one DOA, so that brings me down to 27.

Are any of you more experienced Chick Mama's and Papa's able to tell me what kind of brown egg layers I may have here?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  2. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    The black ones with spots on their heads look like barred rocks. The no-spot black ones look like my australorps. The medium blond ones look like my baby RIRs. No clue on the others. Don't quote me; I'm not an expert..... just comparing to what I've got.

3. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    The yellow ones look like Buff Orpingtons.

4. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    The black ones with the spot on their heads are Barred Rocks, I'm almost sure of that. I got mine last week. The others I'm not so sure. The brown striped ones look like Golden Phoneixes, but don't believe me on that assumption. [​IMG]

5. ParkerVA

ParkerVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Blue Ridge, VA
    The creamy colored ones with red/orange (ie the one below the chipmunk striped ones) are Red Sex Link.

Chipmunk stripes are your Easter Eggers most likely.

The more solid red are likely Rhode Island Reds.

Black with white spot, most likely Barred Rocks.

The black with the red face, most likely a Black Sex Link.

The more solid black ones, maybe Black Australorps or Black Sex Links.

6. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    And the grey one in the corner with the long tail is a RAT.

[​IMG]
    Just kidding. [​IMG]

7. Stormy

Stormy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    South Carolina
    LOL a rat, huh? Not EVEN a little bit funny-I don't do rats-not even in conversation! lol

Thank you so much all of you, for your input. I am printing your answers out and am pulling out my McMurray book to look them all up. That is, if I can pull myself away from this brooder.

Fortunately, I had the forsight to put the brooder beside my computer-so I don't have far to go to get on my backyardchickens site...other than that, I am GLUED to this brooder box!

Am I the only one that finds watching them mesmerizing, almost hypnotic- as well as just plain FUN to watch???

These chicks are SO cool!

Stormy

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    RIR or NHR on the red ones, chipmunk striped are your EE's, black without spot probably Australorps, black with spots barred rock or dominque and the buff ones look like orps. The cream one with the stripes could be a hybrid like my golden buffs from Meyer hatchery.

The real dark brown or black one with no white markings...unsure of that one.

Congrats on the gang arriving.

9. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Though they're much more work I'm pretty sure (after 3 mos) that chickens are even better for your blood pressure than an aquarium. They're always doing something, they're willing to interact with you, and even when you fall asleep in the coop (in my defense I was working midnight shift) they probably won't peck your eyes out LOL. I find mine utterly fascinating and b/c of them and BYC have already gone from " I'll get a few to lay eggs for me and Mom/Dad and my neighbor" to "how big can I overbuild the run right now" and "where can I expand later" and "what other kinds of chickens do I want" and "maybe I really need a couple of turkeys for comic relief" (not thanksgiving dinner). I can't stand cantaloupe in any way/shape/form and find myself chopping up my Mom's leftovers for the girls just to please them while holding my breath. I realized their true power when my 23 yoa son was here this week holding my roo and taking pics and saying that next time he comes up he believes he'll sit out there with them and commune for a while..... and maybe bring some friends!

10. HeadHen

HeadHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Quote:I agree 100% because I just got some of those from MM and they look exactly like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by