What have I got?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by chickathon, Nov 28, 2011.

1. chickathon

chickathon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    I have three guineas. They are two pearls and one pied. I got them this summer when they were 6 weeks old. I am guessing they should be about 6 and a half months old. They haven't layed any eggs. So I don't know what they are. If any of them were guys would they follow my barred rock roo around? These are the first I have ever owned. No one I know knows anything about guineas. [​IMG] Any advice would would be great. Here are the pics. So what do you think?[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  2. GuineaLady93

GuineaLady93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    Can you post a picture? If you have any females they will make the buck wheat noise.. Males will make a chi chi chi noise.
    If you post a picture we might can tell from that.

3. egg-cellent

egg-cellent Chillin' With My Peeps

If you look at their waddles under their ears. The males hang down and the hens lay back, kind of against their head. I hope this helps.. But the hens are very loud when the get spooked. Males make more of a chirping sound.. I hope this helps. But I agree, if you post a pic, I'm sure we can help.

4. GuineaLady93

GuineaLady93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    If you can't post a picture, this might help.
    [​IMG]

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Long before mine develop any sort of wattles I can tell them apart from their "talk". The girls have an up and down voice and boys have only one tone. The girls at my farm are usually more talkative than the boys.

6. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    The waddles can be helpful in mature birds but not a sure way to sex. Their voice is the sure way. The hens make a 2 syllable sound and the males only have a 1 syllable noise and are the quiet ones. They only make sound really when they all sound the alarm. The hens are the ones that make noise all the time! If you have hens, they will start to lay in the spring as they are seasonal layers.

7. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    I agree, the wattle size, shape and position don't always accurately help determine sex. Males can have flat wattles, Hens can have cupped wattles, and both sexes can have one of each! Just depends on genetics (good or bad). But yes, pls post pics if you can.

Besides the Hens being the only ones that will make the 2 syllable "buck-wheat" call over and over all day long (sometimes all night too, lol), as they mature the Hens will develop a "bustle" on their back end, a very noticeable raised lump from their back between the wing tips to tail. (You can do a search for bustle, there's been a thread with pics posted displaying where on the Hens the bustle is). The males do not develop this physical trait.

Both sexes will scream the excessively loud alarm call "chi-chi-chi-chi-chi-chi" when startled, spooked or agitated, but it's typically the males that sound that call more often than Hens in my flocks, because they are the ones that are more so "on guard". Also the males tend to have a more alert upright posture and it's common for them to act more defensive/aggressive raising their wings over their backs and charging/chasing other males or other livestock/poultry (sometimes it leads to feather pulling). They are showing their dominance and also trying to impress their Hens. Hens tend to have a lower to the ground posture and usually are not the aggressors within my flocks.

And of course if the bird lays an egg you know it's definitely a Hen. They will start laying sometime in the first Spring after they hatched and will then lay Spring - Fall, usually a little later in the day each day until they skip a day then start over earlier the next day. My Hens skip a day usually every 10-12 days or so. Guinea Hens like to lay in well hidden places, so it's a good idea to keep them all penned until the Hens have laid their eggs for the day, unless you enjoy daily egg hunts, lol.

If you do let them lay outside it helps to follow them from a distance when you let them out each day if you have to hunt down eggs... they will usually lead you to the nests. And sometimes the males will be standing watch or laying quietly by the hidden nest while the Hen is laying. Most, but not all Hens let out a several second long drawn out distinct "I just laid an egg" cackle that can help you locate nests also. Hens are very defensive of their nests and will attack you if you try to reach under them, so push them off the nest before you collect the eggs... and keep one eye on the Hen at all times while you collect them, lol. If you do not want them laying outside it's a good idea to take the eggs and destroy any nests you find, then as mentioned above keep them in until they have laid inside each day, then let them out to free range.

If the Guineas were raised with your chickens they may consider them part of their flock and hang close to them, but come breeding season they may not want nothing to do with the chickens and there may be excessive aggression from the males... plenty of free range time usually helps avoid this.

8. chickathon

chickathon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    Sorry i haven't posted a pic. I have been having alot of trouble with my camera will try again tommorrow. Please bear with me. Thank you all for all of your advice!

9. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Peeps I always learn so much from you. Thank you.

10. egg-cellent

egg-cellent Chillin' With My Peeps

This place can be very educational... I love BYC's![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by