What have I got?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by traceyj, Aug 27, 2014.

1. traceyj

traceyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2014
    BC Canada
    Two speckled hens one black (poss Orpington!?!) getting two eggs a day from these three
    And two small brown and one dark brown 3/5 month olds so not sure what gender yet. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    The first picture looks like they might be cuckoo marans (black and white) and a black copper marans, since they all have feathered shanks, but they could be mixes.

3. traceyj

Aug 25, 2014
    BC Canada
    Thanks, what's a shank?

4. traceyj

Aug 25, 2014
    BC Canada
    Oooh yes, googled them and they both look right :) thank you. Eggs are just regular brown not speciality chocolate or anything, but I'm happy with just any eggs as long as they are yummy :D

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Shank is the part of the leg with the scales on them. Are these hatchery birds? Most hatchery marans don't lay a dark egg and cuckoos lay a lighter egg than black coppers. But they could be mixes.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    To me, it looks like you have some Cuckoo Marans, a Black Australorp, and maybe some Buff Orpington or Buff Plymouth Rock mixes.

7. traceyj

Aug 25, 2014
    BC Canada
    Three big ones came from a lady on a farm, the other three little ones came from an illicit chicken trade in costco carpark ;) (actually she was recommended to me and met me in costco so not that illicit) so as far as I've been told they are farm hatched, but am learning not a lot is as it seems. My wee ones won't eat layers pellets so I got some smaller budgie seeds for them and soaked some layers pellets in warm water, they seem spiritedly enough tho as black one is harassing them! (She was bottom of pecking order and now gets to lord it over them- love the psychology of it!)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  9. traceyj

Aug 25, 2014
    BC Canada
    Ooh the australorp has the blue black feathers that my chook has, and no brown like an Orpington has.
    I love the Internet :D thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by